Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwofles

Cultural Foods

47 posts in this topic

I can't use the image bb code here, apparently. Nor can I edit my posts.

So every country cooks it the same, seasons it the same, serves it the same, and eats it exactly like all other countries? :P

I said about the beans not other food.. And yes almost every country eats beans and even with sausage sometimes. Beans is in general the popular food, especially in the military, that's why I said it's nothing special about it. As the thread states (Cultural food), so food that we don't know from a cultural place but ok.

I said about the beans not other food.. And yes almost every country eats beans and even with sausage sometimes. Beans is in general the popular food, especially in the military, that's why I said it's nothing special about it. As the thread states (Cultural food), so food that we don't know from a cultural place but ok.

I said that about the beans and sausages as well, not the other foods

Beans and sausages are cooked, seasoned, and eaten in different ways in multiple countries throughout the world :dave:

From where I come from (Canada)

We eat:

Canadian bacon with maple glaze

12889.jpg

Corn Pancakes

sweet-corn-pancakes.jpg

Canadian Day cake

maxresdefault.jpg

Nice food Jack, except for the pancakes part :dave: (For me it looks a bit gross, corns with pancakes xD). And how the fk are the spoilers automaticly opened ?

Thought I might as well hop on the food wagon :davehair:

South-Africa.png

Although we have an array of unique South African dishes I only find a few to be attractive. In fact, I eat more like all the Brits that posted on here than I am about to post haha. Probably down to me being South African, but not Afrikaans or isiXhosa or one of the "authentic" ethnic groups inhabiting SA :D

Bobotie:

A delicious mixture of mince (we usually use Beef although traditionally some type of buck like Springbok (Gazelle)), spices and vegetables, some even throw raisins in! Topped with an egg-based, savoury custard and baked until golden with Bay Leaves implanted on top.

df136290c7a3d64db566d21d0dfed06f.png

Milk Tart (Melk Tert):

An Afrikaans creamy dessert consisting of your basic tart ingredients, a sweet pastry and simply with an emphasis on the milk part ^^ Sprinkled with Cinnamon after baked/refrigerated.

14df74d90edf7da85b8e6cbf45b0d89d.png

Malva Pudding:

A spongy, caramelized pudding smothered with Apricot Jam after baking and served hot with Custard and/or Ice-Cream. Incredibly rich and for that reason, I don't go near it :P

0068dfd5f66d5fadabacd4eb42b9b17c.png

Boerewors:

Spain and Portugal have Chorizo, we have Boerewors translating from Afrikaans as "Farmer's Sausage". Just a mixture of coarsely ground meat (can be Beef, Kudu, Springbok, Ostrich, Lamb) and a lot of spices. If it's not cooked on the braai (Afrikaans for Barbecue) it ain't Boerewors!

67ff41265e17e76394e6092b81b7375e.png

Biltong:

Same vibe as Boerewors, Biltong is heavily spiced dried meat. (Originated from old preserving techniques.) It can be made from once again, Beef, Kudu, Ostrich, Springbok and sometimes Gemsbok (Oryx). You could say it is slightly, very slightly similar to Jerky or whatever that shit is...

8cdfeb6e23435532a61cd4a7fc7c28db.png

Thanks for making this thread, as a foodie it was very interesting reading through all your cultural foods and I hope you enjoyed mine. This took especially long because my net was so bad, I couldn't even load Google :dumb:

Nice food Jack, except for the pancakes part :dave: (For me it looks a bit gross, corns with pancakes xD). And how the fk are the spoilers automaticly opened ?

Thanks, idk whats wrong with the spoilers.

Well, I am from a lot of places being a mix of a lot of things like German,Russian,Polish,Italian,American so I will post of what I eat that my grandparents make. My parents are too American and never make the foods my ancestors had and I prefer that food over American lol.

Russian: I am mostly Russian than anything else since my father was born in Moscow so my grandparents on my dad's side makes a lot of Russian food that I enjoy. Here are the Russian foods that I have ate before.

Pelmeni:

This is a really good dish that I enjoy a lot. It's served with sour cream and Red wine vinegar. It's like dumplings filled with meat but taste different.

Picture: L0aOTYp.jpg

Borscht:

This is a very good soup IMO. It's good with sour cream.

Picture: S4UP8jy.jpg

Caviar:

Pretty sure it didn't originate from Russia but a lot of Russians eat it and it's very good. There are many kinds of caviar and some get really expensive. It's fish eggs.

Picture: 7fvlMe4.jpg

There are more Russian dished that I have but I cant remember them. 

German: German is on my moms side and I usually get served German food when there's a special occasion like birthdays,etc.

Bratwurst:

Bratwurst is like a sausage and it taste very good. I enjoy it very much. It's also very good with sauerkraut.

Picture: lnLOG6c.jpg

German Rouladen:

This is meat rolled in bacon, onions, and pickles. It's very delicious.

Picture: vbfiBPr.jpg

Sauerkraut:

Sauerkraut, directly translated: "sour cabbage", is finely cut cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria, including Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. Took from Wikipedia cause lazy.

Picture: N0HOr2K.jpg

Polish: Polish is on my moms side as well and I do quite enjoy polish food.

Kiełbasa:

Kiełbasa is a type of Eastern European sausage, which is also called Polish sausage.

Picture: yIiASux.jpg

Pierogi:

Pierogi are dumplings of unleavened dough – first boiled, at which point they can be served with melted butter or various toppings, or then fried with onions – traditionally stuffed with potato filling, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit.

Picture: D9igzHS.jpg

Italian: Can't remember anything else that I ate other than pasta and pizza from Italy.

Will post more if I remember any other food that I've had.

The pelmenis are so good :D

mmm... finland.... known for its delicious looking foods... :dumb:

HERNEKEITTO 

406336.jpg

MÄMMI

ahgMMxU.jpg

MUSTAMAKKARA

1288686047393.jpg

MAKSALAATIKKO

1141335.jpg

Bear food :troll:

And I thought I would expect a bear in that video :rage:, anyways the soup looks delicious.

Sure it'll look and taste better if I deep fried it :dave:

Sure it'll look and taste better if I deep fried it :dave:

The most important thing is taste right? Not how it looks...

HERNEKEITTO 

406336.jpg

MÄMMI

ahgMMxU.jpg

MUSTAMAKKARA

1288686047393.jpg

MAKSALAATIKKO

1141335.jpg

All looking like a poo with the exception of last picture which looks like wet sand :dumb:

Once again - PIEROGI! :ANGRYARNOLD:

pierogi1.jpg

GOŁĄBKI :ANGRYARNOLD:

golabki-bez-zawijania.jpg

BARSZCZ CZERWONY Z USZKAMI :ANGRYARNOLD:

thumb31_8597436.jpg

ZIEMNIAKI Z KOTLETEM :ANGRYARNOLD:

kotlet_schabowy_z_ziemniakami_mlodymi_4.

It was a joke :dave:

Since Bear brought up in a sarcastic manner about Finland's "appealing" looking foods, that's why I commented on it as well in addition with my joking deep fry comment :P

But now I must deep fry you :dave:

PY8gYbi.jpg

A Ukranian "Lil' Planet" person coming through  :) Ready for some great Slavic food ?  ^_^ 

Favorite soup: Borscht  :P 

Borscht_served.jpg

Borscht is a soup of Ukrainian origin[1] that is popular in many Eastern and Central European cuisines, including those of Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, and Russia. In most of these countries, it is made with beetroot as the main ingredient. In some countries, tomato is used as the main ingredient, while beetroot acts as a secondary ingredient. Other varieties that do not use beetroot also exist, such as the tomato paste-based orange borscht and green borscht (sorrel soup).[citation needed] Potatoes and cabbage are also standard; some regions have green borscht, where green spinach is substituted for the cabbage.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht

Favorite Maindish: Varenyky  :wub:

Wareniki.JPG

Varenyky (Ukrainian: варе́ники, singular "варе́ник") are stuffed dumplings of unleavened dough which are widespread in East Slavic (Belarusian, Russian, Ukrainian), Moldovan and Baltic (Latvian, Lithuanian) cuisines, and commonly found today in all Post-Soviet states. They are traditionally associated with the Ukrainian cuisine[1][2][3] and considered a national dish of Ukraine.[3][4]

Varenyky are boiled or sometimes steamed. The name varenyk means literally "a boiled thing". The word is cognate with the adjective "boiled" (Ukrainian: варений).

The dish is referred to as vareniki in Belarusian (варэнікі) and in Russian (вареники), virtiniai in Lithuanian, and as colțunași in Romanian language.

Varenyky are nearly identical with some types of Polish pierogi. In some regions of Western Ukraine, such as Carpathian Ruthenia and Galicia, both terms, varenyky and pyrohy, are used to denote the same dish. The name pyrohy is also common for the Canadian Ukrainian. This can be attributed to the history of Ukrainian and Rusyn immigration to Canada, which came predominantly from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, where the local dialects had many common words with Polish, German, Romanian and other Central European languages. In other regions of Ukraine and in Russia, the names pirogi and pirozhki refer to baked pies and buns, but not to boiled dumplings. The name of a popular type of Polish pierogi, pierogi ruskie ("Ruthenian pierogi"), is related to Rus', the historical region and naming of Eastern Slavs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenyky

Favorite Appetiser: Kholodets  :davemas:

Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

Kholodets is a dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatin made from a meat stock or consommé. Non-savory dishes, often made with commercial gelatin mixes without stock or consommé, are usually called gelatin salads.

When cooled, stock that is made from meat congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the meat. The stock can be clarified with egg whites, and then filled and flavored just before the aspic sets. Almost any type of food can be set into aspics. Most common are meat pieces, fruits, or vegetables. Aspics are usually served on cold plates so that the gel will not melt before being eaten. A meat jelly that includes cream is called a chaud-froid.

Nearly any type of meat can be used to make the gelatin: pork, beef, veal, chicken, turkey, or fish. The aspic may need additional gelatin in order to set properly. Veal stock provides a great deal of gelatin; in making stock, veal is often included with other meat for that reason. Fish consommés usually have too little natural gelatin, so the fish stock may be double-cooked or supplemented. Since fish gelatin melts at a lower temperature than gelatins of other meats, fish aspic is more delicate and melts more readily in the mouth.

Vegetables and fish stocks need gelatin to maintain a molded shape.[1] In Russian and Ukrainian, a meat aspic dish is called kholodets (Russian: Холодец; Ukrainian: Холодець) derived from the word kholod meaning cold. The dish is part of winter holiday festive meals. In central, eastern and northern Europe, aspic often takes the form of pork jelly, and it is popular around the Christmas and Easter Holidays. A Georgian version is called Mujuji.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspic

Favorite Dessert: Syrniki  :awesome: 

Syrniki.jpg

Syrniki In Russian, Belarusian, Lithuanian, Polish, and Ukrainian cuisines, syrniki (Russian: сы́рник[и]; Ukrainian: сирники; Belarusian: сырнікі) are fried quark pancakes, garnished with sour cream, varenye, jam, honey or apple sauce. The cheese mixture may contain raisins for extra flavour. In Russia they are also known as tvorozhniki (творо́жники). Syrniki are made from creamy quark, mixed with flour, eggs, and sugar, sometimes adding vanilla extract. The soft mixture is shaped into cakes, which are fried, generally in vegetable oil. The outside becomes crisp, and the centre is warm and creamy. They are sweet and served for breakfast or dessert. Their simplicity has made them very popular in Eastern Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrniki

Favorite Beverage: Kvass

Mint_bread_kvas.jpgKvass is a traditional Slavic fermented beverage commonly made from black or regular rye bread.[1] The colour of the bread used contributes to the colour of the resulting drink. It is classified as a non-alcoholic drink byRussian and Ukrainian standards, as the alcohol content from fermentation is typically less than 1.2%.[2] Generally, the alcohol content is low (0.5–1.0%).[3] It may be flavoured with fruits such as strawberries and raisins, or with herbs such as mint.[4]

It is especially popular in Russia and Ukraine, but also well-known throughout Belarus, Estonia, Serbia, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania, as well as in other former Soviet states such as Georgia, Kazakhstan and Armenia, where many kvass vendors sell the drink in the streets.[5] Kvass is also popular in Harbin[6] and Xinjiang, China, where Russian culture has had an influence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

Thats about it comrades have yourseves a hella scrumptious day Comrades !!!!!!!!!  :sir:  

PY8gYbi.jpg

A Ukranian "Lil' Planet" person coming through  :) Ready for some great Slavic food ?  ^_^ Favorite soup: Borscht  :P Borscht_served.jpg

Borscht is a soup of Ukrainian origin[1] that is popular in many Eastern and Central European cuisines, including those of Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, and Russia. In most of these countries, it is made with beetroot as the main ingredient. In some countries, tomato is used as the main ingredient, while beetroot acts as a secondary ingredient. Other varieties that do not use beetroot also exist, such as the tomato paste-based orange borscht and green borscht (sorrel soup).[citation needed] Potatoes and cabbage are also standard; some regions have green borscht, where green spinach is substituted for the cabbage.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorschtFavorite Maindish: Varenyky  :wub:

Wareniki.JPG

Varenyky (Ukrainian: варе́ники, singular "варе́ник") are stuffed dumplings of unleavened dough which are widespread in East Slavic (Belarusian, Russian, Ukrainian), Moldovan and Baltic (Latvian, Lithuanian) cuisines, and commonly found today in all Post-Soviet states. They are traditionally associated with the Ukrainian cuisine[1][2][3] and considered a national dish of Ukraine.[3][4]

Varenyky are boiled or sometimes steamed. The name varenyk means literally "a boiled thing". The word is cognate with the adjective "boiled" (Ukrainian: варений).

The dish is referred to as vareniki in Belarusian (варэнікі) and in Russian (вареники), virtiniai in Lithuanian, and as colțunași in Romanian language.

Varenyky are nearly identical with some types of Polish pierogi. In some regions of Western Ukraine, such as Carpathian Ruthenia and Galicia, both terms, varenyky and pyrohy, are used to denote the same dish. The name pyrohy is also common for the Canadian Ukrainian. This can be attributed to the history of Ukrainian and Rusyn immigration to Canada, which came predominantly from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, where the local dialects had many common words with Polish, German, Romanian and other Central European languages. In other regions of Ukraine and in Russia, the names pirogi and pirozhki refer to baked pies and buns, but not to boiled dumplings. The name of a popular type of Polish pierogi, pierogi ruskie ("Ruthenian pierogi"), is related to Rus', the historical region and naming of Eastern Slavs.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenyky

Favorite Appetiser: Kholodets  :davemas:

Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

Kholodets is a dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatin made from a meat stock or consommé. Non-savory dishes, often made with commercial gelatin mixes without stock or consommé, are usually called gelatin salads.

When cooled, stock that is made from meat congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the meat. The stock can be clarified with egg whites, and then filled and flavored just before the aspic sets. Almost any type of food can be set into aspics. Most common are meat pieces, fruits, or vegetables. Aspics are usually served on cold plates so that the gel will not melt before being eaten. A meat jelly that includes cream is called a chaud-froid.

Nearly any type of meat can be used to make the gelatin: pork, beef, veal, chicken, turkey, or fish. The aspic may need additional gelatin in order to set properly. Veal stock provides a great deal of gelatin; in making stock, veal is often included with other meat for that reason. Fish consommés usually have too little natural gelatin, so the fish stock may be double-cooked or supplemented. Since fish gelatin melts at a lower temperature than gelatins of other meats, fish aspic is more delicate and melts more readily in the mouth.

Vegetables and fish stocks need gelatin to maintain a molded shape.[1] In Russian and Ukrainian, a meat aspic dish is called kholodets (Russian: Холодец; Ukrainian: Холодець) derived from the word kholod meaning cold. The dish is part of winter holiday festive meals. In central, eastern and northern Europe, aspic often takes the form of pork jelly, and it is popular around the Christmas and Easter Holidays. A Georgian version is called Mujuji.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AspicFavorite Dessert: Syrniki  :awesome: Syrniki.jpg

Syrniki In Russian, Belarusian, Lithuanian, Polish, and Ukrainian cuisines, syrniki (Russian: сы́рник[и]; Ukrainian: сирники; Belarusian: сырнікі) are fried quark pancakes, garnished with sour cream, varenye, jam, honey or apple sauce. The cheese mixture may contain raisins for extra flavour. In Russia they are also known as tvorozhniki (творо́жники). Syrniki are made from creamy quark, mixed with flour, eggs, and sugar, sometimes adding vanilla extract. The soft mixture is shaped into cakes, which are fried, generally in vegetable oil. The outside becomes crisp, and the centre is warm and creamy. They are sweet and served for breakfast or dessert. Their simplicity has made them very popular in Eastern Europe.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyrnikiFavorite Beverage: KvassMint_bread_kvas.jpgKvass is a traditional Slavic fermented beverage commonly made from black or regular rye bread.[1] The colour of the bread used contributes to the colour of the resulting drink. It is classified as a non-alcoholic drink byRussian and Ukrainian standards, as the alcohol content from fermentation is typically less than 1.2%.[2] Generally, the alcohol content is low (0.5–1.0%).[3] It may be flavoured with fruits such as strawberries and raisins, or with herbs such as mint.[4]

It is especially popular in Russia and Ukraine, but also well-known throughout Belarus, Estonia, Serbia, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania, as well as in other former Soviet states such as Georgia, Kazakhstan and Armenia, where many kvass vendors sell the drink in the streets.[5] Kvass is also popular in Harbin[6] and Xinjiang, China, where Russian culture has had an influence.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

Thats about it comrades have yourseves a hella scrumptious day Comrades !!!!!!!!!  :sir:

Borscht :angryarnold:

Hey siikdUde, I love quoting insanely long posts and only replying with one word of my own too, but first I think...

Well my country got a lot of famous and super delicious dishes, but imma post my favourite
Country
Flagbig.GIF

and the dish
Painda:

5100408213_7e28933c29_b.jpg

doesnt look tasty but it is ^^

Would be if you deep fried it :troll:

Hmm, have to try now

Borscht :angryarnold:

Borscht is Red and the raisins in my Syrniki are blue ... Fuck You.  :dumb:  :troll:

Well my country got a lot of famous and super delicious dishes, but imma post my favourite

Country

Flagbig.GIF

and the dish

Painda:

5100408213_7e28933c29_b.jpg

I have had Turkish and Iranian and Saudi and Libyan lulz as i am myself originally born in Israel so IT IS OF DELICIOUS !!!!!!!!!!! :D