Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheep_Wizard

How to add animated sprites into Effects editor (fx editor)

13 posts in this topic

This tutorial is how to create animated sprites for use in Effects editor.

Before reading this tutorial please read my tutorial on how to add custom images into effects editor.

First you need to create a texture atlas. A texture atlas is a image that contains the all the images you want for your animation. If you are confused just google it and you will understand.

The animation starts from the top left image to the bottom right image. Make sure each images is the same size.

Here us mine.

kEnb69l.png

When adding your images into asset manager you will see 'Texture atlas settings'

This is how many rows and columns of images you have in your texture.

0zVtMr8.png

qgHvxkf.png

After converting your material in asset manager open effects editor.

When you have added the sprite into the effects editor underneath the visuals tab you will see 'sequence controls'

Here you edit the settings for animation.

Start frame:

Fixed frame: Choose which frame you want the fx to start on

Random: Starts on a random frame

Indexed: Starts on the first frame(?)

Play Rate:

Fixed FPS: How many frames get played per second

Sync to particle lifetime: Don't know what this does

Loop:

Forever:Animations loops forever (during the fx life)

Choose how many times you want it to loop.

kImMYhh.png

Some example of stuff you can do:

4f6d71ab19e6ab512e76eac6377612d2.gif

dec630973681dde8ac0832603bead6d0.gif

9cfc62e64f65faf9b1eb575988605b7c.gif

If you need any help feel free to ask.

One question, how to play any image/animated image with a delay as they all play with the same delay and i want to play one and then after 4 seconds i want to play the other effect but i dont want them to be played and mixed but one to dissappear and the other one appear with a delay.

Could you help me with that? It would be really nice, thanks for your attention.

One question, how to play any image/animated image with a delay as they all play with the same delay and i want to play one and then after 4 seconds i want to play the other effect but i dont want them to be played and mixed but one to dissappear and the other one appear with a delay.

Could you help me with that? It would be really nice, thanks for your attention.

I dont think there is a way to change delay in between images. When making your image atlas you could just have the image multiple time im a row. It should give the same effect

cKnhPBj.png

So the first image plays 3 times which acts as if there is a delay

The second image plays 2 times which will be a shorter delay

the rest of the images just play once acting as no delay

Well, thanks for your response, I don't mean that, I mean the interval when the fx appears on the player as it's a trail and i dont want to make it like other servers but with a delay when the image appears, i think i could make a big image with a big transparencie :D

One question, could you tell me/us the options to use inside EffectsEd to create this kinds of trails:

iw3mp_5-9-2014_0-50-41-88.jpg

Thanks.

A got around to make a few moving sprays unfortunately spraylogo() is just to buggy for a sprite any ideas how to fix?

Bugs:

Fallen in the ground

Allows for strange angles not always on the floor or wall but can stand up right.

Not flat the top bit is slightly higher

can float

A got around to make a few moving sprays unfortunately spraylogo() is just to buggy for a sprite any ideas how to fix?

Bugs:

Fallen in the ground

Allows for strange angles not always on the floor or wall but can stand up right.

Not flat the top bit is slightly higher

can float

Cause it's not a decal it doesnt stick to a surface. Dont really know how you could fix this

Cause it's not a decal it doesnt stick to a surface. Dont really know how you could fix this

Using this: playFx( level.sprayInfo[sprayNum].fx, (self.origin + (0,0,1)) );

Help to stick to the ground correctly, and its flat like a normal decal only two things that don't work with this tho is the angling does face where you put it and can't stick on walls but this is alot less buggy.

And these using any of these variables: "position, forward, up" would cause the sprite to disappear if using self.origin as well.

Hmmm Nexus, maybe changing Bilboard sprite to something else, not sure

Im pretty sure that if it uses anything else it simple wouldn't display the texture.