Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiKeY

Where are the servers?!

18 posts in this topic

First off, I want to apologise profusely for our lack of updates on this matter and for the servers actually being down and so unstable. I have been on the phone with our hosting company trying to get these issues solved and as fast as possible. After the last round of DDoS attacks we received; our server has yet to of bounced back. We have a feeling that our server may need to be fixed at a much lower level but this will take us a long time and a huge amount of effort to actually undertake and because of this we are doing our best to resolve the issues without needing to do any lower level fixes. 

We are working with our hosting company to find the issue and solve it. I will be very annoyed to find out that it is an issue on their side and will require a very heart felt apology ( unlikely haha ) but it is starting to look a lot like this. Please do not think that we are going down or anything other than a server fault that we are working on.

In regards to anyone saying "get better DDoS protection" etc. Trust me, I want nothing more than to have a server that can handle petty DDoS attacks from people that seemingly have no reason to want to attack Raid but unfortunately a server that can handle that sort of attack costs money. Lots of $$$. Unfortunately we are not made of money, although we would love to be so we can put it back into the servers to have kick ass shit. A server that can handle those sorts of attacks would cost around $156/pm ( per month ). That is a huge amount of money for a community that is run purely off of donations.  

I will be the first to notify our community on any further developments with this issue. I would like to thank everyone for staying around on the forums and notifying users about the down time due to the attacks. I have done my best to keep the forums up during all of these attacks and faults.

Sorry again,

@MiKeY

Update: 

To everyone,

After a long and very annoying backup process. We have managed to reinstall the server but unfortunately with no success. This has confirmed that it is down to our hoster. Because of this I can not do anything but wait. I have been calling them every day for the past week trying to get this solved. I am honesty tempted to call the datacenter in France :P. 

Our servers will hopefully be fixed soon. I Can only hope. 

Once again, We are sorry for the down time. Lets just start some forum games up and have fun :P

You got da back up from us m-8. But maybe this solution would work, although I'm not sure if you guys are doing that.

Anyways, I think you got the legit IP address from the attacker and it's Kevinos I think? Just report to the police and the ISP.

Appreciate the public update and doing everything you can to get this resolved

Hopefully this will be fixed soon

Anyways, I think you got the legit IP address from the attacker and it's Kevinos I think? Just report to the police and the ISP.

Reported his illegal activities to the police and ISP in the past, still waiting for a reply ^^

Also in the past when he used one of his servers to attack raid, reported it to ovh with a tcp log, they didn't really do much.

By the way, just so you know, kevinos is attacking all CoD4 servers atm not just raid. So won't surprise me if some one attacks ar51 in return. ^^

It really does suck when somebody has nothing better to do with their life than take down a 9 year old game's servers to ruin the fun for some people that still enjoy playing the game. To make matters worse what he is doing is illegal and just stupid, but apparently its the only thing that gives him pleasure in life!

Reported his illegal activities to the police and ISP in the past, still waiting for a reply ^^

Also in the past when he used one of his servers to attack raid, reported it to ovh with a tcp log, they didn't really do much.

By the way, just so you know, kevinos is attacking all CoD4 servers atm not just raid. So won't surprise me if some one attacks ar51 in return. ^^

im guessing he's not taking down all servers with some shitty web based stresser?

that web stress he's advertising is his own website. Far as i know he's using layer 7 ddos attacks.

Update:

Thank you all for the support. The servers will be going down some time today. I will make it very clear about an hour before we do go offline. Hopefully the downtime will allow us to get everything back up. If the downtime does not work on fixing everything then we will be shouting at our hoster because this downtime will 100% confirm it's there fault. At that point we will be much less hands off on making them fix it about 5 hours ago. 

1) Ask them for a new dedi for the same price and same specs if the downtime doesn't work

2) Ask for money back that you guys paid for the last 2 months

3) Say to them to setup for you a firewall protection if they have a shit ddos as they NEED to protect you for this such things and especially if they didn't do shit with those reports.

The customer is the king over a company.

3) Say to them to setup for you a firewall protection if they have a shit ddos as they NEED to protect you for this such things and especially if they didn't do shit with those reports.

You can't protect yourself from DDOS attacks by simply putting a firewall between you and the attacker(s) (Raid already has a firewall anyway). The whole point of a DDOS attack is to flood a server with requests so it can't handle them, a firewall would still have to filter each and every request resulting in no effect. Firewalls were never meant for DDOS protection and never will be.

The only way to mitigate a DDOS attack is to simply have more bandwidth available than the attacker, something a community run off donations simply can't afford.

I mean a firewall machine... a litteraly machine that has only firewall protection. So I'm wondering why the company doesn't have that standard and especially when you buy a dedicated machine.

I mean a firewall machine... a litteraly machine that has only firewall protection. So I'm wondering why the company doesn't have that standard and especially when you buy a dedicated machine.

Because there is no point? No traffic would reach the main machine because the 'firewall machine' would have all of its bandwidth hogged.

also companys have these kind of systems in place but they cost a lot. you should know that because you host your own community.

I know @@Lossy but still wondering for Dedi machines that they don't have a proper DDOS protection that could take care at least some good ddos. But ye.

Just because it's a dedicated server does not mean they're going to give the best protection. They're going to give the best protection to people that pay more because they're bringing in more money.

Also there no "proper" ddos protection, so stop saying it, do some research and you'll learn there multiple ways to ddos a server, some are easiser to protect than others. A lot of companys can't protect against most DDoS attacks. Which is why there things such as cloudflare to target certain attacks. 

If there was proper protection against DDoS attacks then 600-800 gbp/s ddos attacks would not slow down the whole internet for everyone.

Anyway the problem with the game servers isn't part of the DDoS attack anymore, it's due to ovh network.

To everyone,

After a long and very annoying backup process. We have managed to reinstall the server but unfortunately with no success. This has confirmed that it is down to our hoster. Because of this I can not do anything but wait. I have been calling them every day for the past week trying to get this solved. I am honesty tempted to call the datacenter in France :P. 

Our servers will hopefully be fixed soon. I Can only hope. 

Once again, We are sorry for the down time. Lets just start some forum games up and have fun :P