Followers 0
Axo

Vacant

[Poll] Vacant   17 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Vacant?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm a faggot and I have no opinion

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

One of the most controversial maps, Vacant, is the reason for this topic.

After playing Vacant numerous times today on the Raid Promod 1 server, I came to the conclusion (once more) that I really dislike this map. I've noticed that there are more players who really dislike map. Even leaving the server after playing one or two rounds. Especially in the last game I played, the map started off with 18 players on the server. The map ended with a total of 5 remaining and going over to Crossfire. Although, this is probably partially influenced by the time, as it is currently 0:30 AM GMT+2. However, the reason this happened is mainly the map itself.

The map Vacant has seen play at ESL in North America, but Europe decided not to throw this map into the pool. I feel like that does mean something. The map is very small and close quarters, which really cuts down on the scope its power. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since the scope is really strong overall. However, due to the fact that the map is so centered, it makes for really fast rushes, especially for the attacking side. The defending side are locked up in their base, as that's the largest room of the map, which ruins the fast rushing, because they will be too slow to get to the respective chokepoints on the map. The attacking side is usually able to put a lot of pressure on the defending side, forcing them into their base, leaving the A bombsite open. The attacking side can get to A from three directions very quickly. The defending side can only get in there from one side, which is usually being watched by attacking side scopes. When A is planted, the defending side has two ways to go to A, since they're trapped in their base, and the attacking side can easily overwhelm that siege.

As far as the B bombsite goes, it's literally in the defending side their spawn. I still don't understand the point of that. Nades are not very effective, as there are only a few windows to throw them through. Therefore, it comes down to raw firepower. Due to the fact that the attacking side has an advantage in getting to certain places and attaining certain positions, the defending side is always at a large negative. We see this in modern day shooters like CS:GO, where certain maps are heavily T or CT-sided, however, Call of Duty 4 works entirely different than CS:GO. The two can hardly be compared. I do feel like this map is alright for 5v5 (or less), but it's not suited for a 6v6 (or more) and the server is usually packed with at least 16 people.

Anyways, to the point, I would like your thoughts on Vacant, as I personally believe it should be removed as a whole from the server. It's causing people to leave and get frustrated. I feel like the server would not be at a loss having the map removed.

Vacant map overlook.jpg

9 hours ago, Axo said:

As far as the B bombsite goes, it's literally in the defending side their spawn. I still don't understand the point of that.

Have you ever seen crash? :P the position of the site isn't the issue, it's the fat there's only 2 entrances.

Also, it's not an eu map for a reason :P

Ah, you're right, I forgot about Crash. The B bombsite on that map is easily accessible from multiple sides. Vacant only has two entrances to the B bombsite indeed.

I agree with almost everything you said. While the map might be good with a low amount of players, it's not with an amount of 12 or higher. It's like you said, the attacking side has to much of an advantage, mostly having complete controll over the map while the defending side can't do anything but sit in spawn. Yes they can rush but the chance you survive that is low since the attacking side can cut you off with nades for the B-bomb side and scopes can kill you on the A-bomb side, cutting of most players the try to move out of spawn. But if by chance you get out, it's already to late since the attacking side is already there and since it's pub we are talking about, most people only care about their score and won't risk getting killed for 'trying' to get out of spawn, hence they sit in spawn and mostly get killed due to being overrun by the attacking side.

I also would like to note that, the other maps like shantytown and the rest of the 'new' maps, have a notable amount of drop in playerbase when these maps are played. While yes, some may be good maps, people might not find them enjoyable and prefer to play the standard maps instead and personally i prefer the standard one's myself.

I can agree that Cluster and Shantytown are hardly ever played. I feel like Marketcenter is slowly being accepted though. More people are voting for it and the server doesn't really die out after that map.