Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Headdy

People with mental/physical problems

11 posts in this topic

Since yesterday, I'm in the rehab centre. Lots of people here do have a story. Most of them had an accident, some are disabled or anything. Meh.

I'm at the 'child' department, so kids of my age are here. I'm with 4 guys in my room. 1 guy is still able to talk, he's a little weird though, he gets aggresive really fast and is pretty antisocial.

So the guy who lies next to me, is mentally disabled and he just had a back-surgery. He's not able to walk, he only sits on a chair or he's driving using his electrical powered wheelchair. He isn't able to talk. You can communicate with him, if he uses is iPad to speak for him. He can type what he wants to say and the iPad says it out loud. So just talking with each other isn't really an option. He invited me on Facebook today, so ofcourse I accepted him. I started talking on Facebook while he was just sitting next to me. He just talks like any other human, I wouldn't even recognize him as a person which is mentally disabled and can't speak/walk. He was so happy he could talk to me, I guess he feels really alone. He got adopted at the age of 1 I guess. He's from Poland, he's able to understand anything you say to him though.

The guy who lives on the other side of the room, he's 17 years old and a really smart guy. He had an accident a few months ago and he isn't able to do anything. He can't use any part of his body apart from his neck/head/fingers/hand. This guy, he can only communicate by using his eyes. Yes, his eyes. If you ask him: 'Are you OK?'. He'll answer by looking up or down. (Up=yes, down=no) So actually he's just a genius, but he'll be disabled for his whole life. There's almost no option to communicate with him, since he can only response with yes/no. They're now learning him to 'speak' with a special board which has all the letters so he can pick the letter and he'll make a word from it (By selecting all the letters).

So actually, my situation isn't really that bad. This kinda gives me a feeling of luck I didn't end up there. Ofcourse, I do live with a lot of pain at the moment, but that's just now. It should be less soon. Most of this kids will have it for life.

There are lots of other nice people here, but these two just stand out. I haven't met all the kids though.

So, this is really impressive, at least for me. My question is, do you guys know any persons that are like this, if yes, could you tell about him/her? (Like friends, family, other persons, or did you ever had to be in such a place like this? Rehabilitation, hospital)

This is actually a serious topic, it's not really a nice place to make jokes about certain people/things. Go do that somewhere else.

I'm just curious if any of you guys ever experienced things like this, and/or did it changed the way you think, care or act to/about people?

@TOPIC

I don't have a story of personal experience, but recently heard news about a learning-disabled 15-year-old was threatened with felony wiretapping charges for using his school-approved iPad to record being bullied by other students...

It's just too harsh. You might have already heard this news, it got viral online.

EDIT: His father uploaded a video about it too 

Edited by QueNNch

@TOPIC

I don't have a story of personal experience, but recently heard news about a learning-disabled 15-year-old was threatened with felony wiretapping charges for using his school-approved iPad to record being bullied by other students...

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/14/special-ed-student-who-recorded-being-bullied-on-his-ipad-threatened-with-felony-wiretapping-charges/#ixzz2zkFaBVvk

Nice story! This drives me crazy though..

The teen has since been removed from the special education math class, and the students accused of bullying have reportedly not been punished.

@TOPIC

It's just too harsh. You might have already heard this news, it got viral online.

EDIT: His father uploaded a video about it too 

wow so the kid who was trying to get the bullies caught on tape is now being charge?

Yeah :/

These things can actually lead to things like school shootings... People on reddit/imgur say this.

I absolutely HATE when people make fun on mental people or people with down syndrome. My brother and uncle have down syndrome but they can talk to people. My brother gets made easily even if he doesn't know you he gets attitude quickly and he graduated even though he ran away from school a few times (He is 19 now). He doesn't look like he is down syn though. My uncle is 21 and he graduated as well but he went to a separate school because he got picked on and when he did he fought them. If you make fun of him or make him mad he will fight you but I took care of him once so he knows not to mess with me. But they can read and write but they are just different. I don't see why people make fun of them when they have problems too. Just makes me mad and sick.

Yeah, Making fun of people with autism is not funny. One of the smartest and funnest person i know has autism, hes very bright and passes economics with an A when i can barely get a B. He's really nice and cool, if anyone bullied him i'd kick their ass.