Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BraXi

2nd PC

40 posts in this topic

So, me and cousin decided to make a suprice for my brother, who will soon have his birthday :awesome:

We've built him a (maybe not too new) but still powerful PC.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4 x 2.4GHz (OC @ 3.0GHz)

RAM: 3GB DDR2-1066 *1

GPU: currently it uses my GTX 770 *2

HDD: 500GB SATA2

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 *3

PSU: OCZ 600W

*1 - Seeing ram usage of newer games, I'm pretty sure 3-4GB will be enough for him to play every game.

*2 - Has no integrated GPU and bro wants to play CS:GO (he's already playing it on my pc and ruining my rank :fff:)  I'll convice him to get GTX750 Ti 2GB :dave:

*3 - He can install second GPU and configure SLI whenever he wants :dave:

Rig is pwetty gawd considering that upgrading it to latest gen (new mobo + haswell refresh [or broadwell] cpu) is not too much of hassle.

So what do you think about it? Should I change/add something ? :dave:

That build is pretty good especially if he just wants to play CS:GO. I wouldn't blame him either.. that is one awesome game, in my opinion.

maybe change the processor to a little stronger and 4 gb of ram at least but other than that it is good :D

try getting better ram :3

I can just add 1GB more but there's really no sense to replace ddr2-1066 with ddr2-1200 (1200 is the fastest DDR2 ram I think) and the diference isn't even noticeable (AND DEM PRICES OMAWHGAD), it will be cheaper for him to get a 4GB DDR3-1866 stick for like 50$ when he'll be upgrading PC himself in the future :dave:

Or even wait for DDR4 hardware + 1 year so the price "premium" will drop and then upgrade pc :dave:

I've also considered the fact that my bro is a fan of racing games and these have usually lower requirements than for example BF3 so I'm hoping this PC will be enough for him, a 750Ti will be enough for him too as at the moment he can only get my old monitor which is 19" 1280x1024.

PS. Oh man, I don't think that the core2quad knows that it's paired with monster gpu right now :dumb:

I hope he is supriced :dave:

nobdoy craes abuot spellnig mistaeks, yuo sitll got teh point :angryarnold:

it is alright, but it is a little slow :P 2.4 ghz <-- should be at least 3 ghz imo :P

i have a 2.3ghz DUAL CORE cpu in my craptop. its been bottleneck only in supreme commander (with about 1000 units in play).

it is alright, but it is a little slow :P 2.4 ghz <-- should be at least 3 ghz imo :P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4 x 2.4GHz (OC @ 3.0GHz)

:angryarnold:

my current cpu is i2 quad core 2.4 ghz and runs fine, if i had more ram i could play 2 games as once with it, this is including bf3 and another one. Back when i had 4gb of ram i use to play minecraft with cod4 or LoL with cod4 or something along them lines. Intel CPUS are really good.

Gabe, shush. CPU's aren't always about clock speed, and RAM isn't all about how much you have. BraXi, I think the build is quite good, and it sounds like you're on a budget as well. It's also very upgradable, if he prefers he can upgrade the ram, and who needs a 750 Ti, when you can use a 650 Ti that does the same job? That'd be my only recommendation, the 750 Ti is unnecessary. 

And Gabe... :facepalm: Most store-bought computers run at around 2.4 GHz, they will suffice for what they plan to do with it. Also, 99% of laptop processors max out at around 2.4, at the very BEST, which is very rare. For power saving and heat, laptops don't go much higher, and yet you see plenty of laptops that can run high-end games.

Also, my friend has a Core 2 Duo, 8GB of RAM, and an HD 6000 series from his store-bought PC, and it's actually quite a beast of a PC besides the GPU.

Gabe, shush. CPU's aren't always about clock speed, and RAM isn't all about how much you have. BraXi, I think the build is quite good, and it sounds like you're on a budget as well. It's also very upgradable, if he prefers he can upgrade the ram, and who needs a 750 Ti, when you can use a 650 Ti that does the same job? That'd be my only recommendation, the 750 Ti is unnecessary. 

And Gabe... :facepalm: Most store-bought computers run at around 2.4 GHz, they will suffice for what they plan to do with it. Also, 99% of laptop processors max out at around 2.4, at the very BEST, which is very rare. For power saving and heat, laptops don't go much higher, and yet you see plenty of laptops that can run high-end games.

Also, my friend has a Core 2 Duo, 8GB of RAM, and an HD 6000 series from his store-bought PC, and it's actually quite a beast of a PC besides the GPU.

Couldn't agree more^^

It's not bad, 600w isn't necessary but it's useful for future upgrades. Nice choice :)

Yeh most games use like 3 gb of ram

Most games don't even come near 3GB of RAM. BF4 on my PC sometimes uses 2, it's usually at 1-1.5 GB, and I have DDR3-1333MHz, which isn't really super fast. 

Most games don't even come near 3GB of RAM. BF4 on my PC sometimes uses 2, it's usually at 1-1.5 GB, and I have DDR3-1333MHz, which isn't really super fast. 

Yer but then again you might be likley to have other things running the same time as playing a game like a media player and several browser tabs open, so you though take this into consideration .

Yer but then again you might be likley to have other things running the same time as playing a game like a media player and several browser tabs open, so you though take this into consideration .

i want to do stuff on the server whilst playing LoL, cannot do that till next week ;_;

or browse the forums whilst making random stuff on cod4, can't do that otherwise cod4 will take forever to open ;_;

Lossy how much Lossy RAM do you currently have in your build? 4?

I have 12GB Ram - but that's coz I'm greedy! :lol:

Nice spec BraXi.

Zac. :D