Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BraXi

2nd PC

40 posts in this topic

Lossy how much Lossy RAM do you currently have in your build? 4?

2GB

2GB

So you spent your money on other things but didn't see that you just have 2 GB memory, wtf :o

Apparently you need at least 4 GB of RAM to run those new games :ph34r:

2GB... Isn't it too little to run minesweeper? :dumb:

pls, you have B75 budget mobo with K processor, you use stock cooler and plan to use GTX 770 with old crap :dumb:

So you spent your money on other things but didn't see that you just have 2 GB memory, wtf :o

Apparently you need at least 4 GB of RAM to run those new games :ph34r:

if you want maximum requirements otherwise no, it can take up as little as 1GB of ram. bf3 says you need at least 2GB but i can still run it fine, yeah loading speeds aren't that great and i get fps lags when i try to render huge areas for the first time but apart from that it runs fine. To be honest all these AAA games that require more than 2GB of ram has poorly optimized their game, specially bf4. It says on bf4 you need at least 4GB. But in bf3 you need at least 2gb? There no graphical improvements from bf3 to bf4 apart from maps environment events but even still, they shouldn't hog up your RAM. The game is just poorly made. Specially if i can run planetside 2 fine on med/high settings and still be fine in a 100 vs1 00 player battle and probably higher. But even planetside 2 wasn't optimized properly but they've improved performance massive and i get 20 more fps than i would normally get including in big massive battles.

But I don't even buy the mainstream games anymore because they're poorly made and easily get bored of them after a week or two and i'm not willing to pay up-to £60 on DLCS if another series is coming out a year later.

Also i use to have 4GB of ram, but my mobo is old and i get blue screen every time i try to use more than 2GB.

@BraXi minesweeper doesn't even take up half your ram to use it and that joke is old and unfunny.

pls, you have B75 budget mobo with K processor, you use stock cooler and plan to use GTX 770 with old crap :dumb:

OC'd mobo :dave:

plan to use GTX 770 with old crap :dumb:

it already uses 770, and i didn't plan it :dumb:

OC'd mobo :dave:

is yar mobo running @ 2 or 4 ghz? :dumb: pls

it already uses 770, and i didn't plan it :dumb:

i see you didn't plan it  :dumb:

I'm experienced in this shit, no need for reviewers  :sir:

yet you still made a thread asking for halp & suggestions :dumb:

Looks like a pretty good build. Processor should still be pretty decent for almost anything. Not that many games are super processor intensive anyway. I would however try and add some more RAM. Right now I have Cod4, Google Chrome (4 tabs) and foobar2000 music player open and I'm already using 3.7 GB of RAM.

I always say Windows 7 should have a min of 4GB of RAM to make sure it runs smooth, and add more if you're running games or programs that will use a bunch of RAM.

Your mobo runs dual channel DDR2 RAM with up to 2GB per slot, so you'll probably want either 2x 2GB sticks, or if you have a little extra money get 4x 2GB sticks. 1066 MHz should be fine, but 1200 MHz doesnt hurt either.

Dusting off the thread!

• Lowered CPU clock to 2.9GHz (it's been too hot at 3.1GHz and I didn't install any good cooler)
  • Added more Ram at a cost... it's now 2x2GB DDR2-800 because it's pretty damn hard to find DDR2-1066 stick at a reasonable price (and a matching timings) so I've decided to go in quantity over speed
  • Got a better PSU which has "80+ Gold" rating. (better than I have in my i7 rig :xd:)
  • Bought AMD Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5 for 55$ - BF3 seems to run better than I've expected (720p, AF x8, AAx2, All on High, SSAO off | 1080p, AFx4, All on Medium/High, SSAO off)

Here are the updated specs:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4 x 2.4GHz (OC @ 2.9GHz)
  • RAM: 4GB (2x2GB DDR2-800 CL4)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD5770 1GB (GDDR5, DX11.1)
  • HDD: 500GB SATA2
  • MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
  • PSU: OCZ 600W 80+ Gold

Now I'm planning on replacing CPU - It's not bad, but I can get Intel® Xeon® Processor E5450 (12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) (45nm/85W) for 30$ which is quite a lot faster, cooler and cheaper than Q6600 (65nm/130W) because it's a "server" cpu for socket 771 and it drains too much power by today's server standards. You may notice that the sockets do not match (Currently Q6600 on socket LGA775 while Xeon is 771). There's a trick to 771 cpus to work on 775 mobos using LGA771 to LGA775 Adapter.

Pics in spoiler:

23724821_9878_d.jpeg

500x1000px-LL-82aac298_20130422_180054.j

I can get one of these for as little as 1.5$ so the total cost would be 36$ (shipping included), I may later sell Q6600 for 50$ so money is not a problem ( :dumb:)... problem is that I'm still not sure if my mobo can handle it, In best case it will just work, it may refuse to work without updated microcodes in bios, and in the worst case Xeon is not going to work at all and I'll be stuck with Q6600...

I'll be super happy if it works out, still trying to find information if xeons work with my mobo or not, some people say P35 chips have no problems with Xeons but there have been situations where they didn't work :dave:

Why you just don't save a bit more money and buy better parts.. Waiting for money to build better parts is worth m8

Why you just don't save a bit more money and buy better parts.. Waiting for money to build better parts is worth m8

We're talking about PC with obsolete socket, the thing is that this PC is pretty worth upgrading - for 36$ I get CPU comparable to high-end i3 of the Ivy Bridge generation with more threads and overclocking posibilities.

I see no sense in upgrading mobo and faster ram.

get 8gb of ram for the poor child,more games are taking advantage of it and im pretty sure that hes gonna want to get newer games

get 8gb of ram for the poor child,more games are taking advantage of it and im pretty sure that hes gonna want to get newer games

Braxi doesn't have an unlimited source of money (excluding deathrun source selling) and it's a respectable choice to get 4gb.

Not gonna lie, Braxi has some weird PC knowledge skills for a girl and she knows what she's doing. Her choice of getting a better CPU is miles better than getting double RAM.

Unless her brother is a professional video editor (like me :sir:) or a constant multitasking person, I doubt he'll need more than 4gb of RAM for most programs which will most likely be games. With a CPU it's a hassle to upgrade but RAM is so fuckin' easy to just slide in. I'm sure her brother is not too dumb that he can't unscrew a case and insert RAM he buys himself later if/when he needs it.