Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Purity

[Tutorial] Basic recording/editing- Purity

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i know you arent really a promod clan or anything but if you want to record and edit anything here it is!

As an editor i have created some pieces and for styx gaming my old clan i did lots of recording and editing for them.

I didnt really see a good informed tutorial so i will try my best to help anyone out who need helping recording and editing.

SO here it goes, follow these steps and everything should be okay.

The first thing you'll need is a few programs:
-Cod4 Player
-Fraps
-Vdub
-Huffyuv v2.1.1 (codec for vdub)
-Sony Vegas, go google if you want full.
-Magic Bullet Suite (Newer version)

Also this bind, just paste it in your movie cfg

"bind F2 "com_maxfps 30; timescale 0.05"

Recording

1. Getting started
First of all, make a new profile called "movie" so your gaming profile won't be changed. Then, after you did that, use the "movie" profile and make sure you have Cod4 in windowed mode (to do that, open console and type r_fullscreen 0 and hit enter, then type vid_restart, hit enter and you'll run Cod4 in windowed mode).

Now the settings, make sure that you have the same settings like in these pictures:
M77D9Uk.png
x9ibTah.png

after that open FRAPS and use these settings

HQAeTV4.png

Now you're gonna set up your cfg, skins etc. for recording.
-Firstly, paste your cfg in C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\main
-For installing skins go to C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\Mods\ModWarfare\images, paste the iwd files, go back to ModWarfare and double click makeMod. So simple.

After you did that open up Cod4 Player and enter the mod you use for recording, in my case it's promodlive_movie, it's a custom mod I made for recording, but you can use modwarfare.

QXWbUui.png
Now open up a demo and you're good to go.

2. Start recording
Now when you open a demo you'll see a yellow number in the top left corner of Cod4. That's Fraps showing your recording FPS.

Now execute your movie cfg, to do that open console and type /exec <name of your cfg>.cfg
In my case it looks like this:
EQAZFSS.png

Now when you executed your movie cfg you're ready to record.

The main part:
When you executed your cfg you'll get killfeed colors, removed hud etc. but it won't last permanently. So to avoid any complications open up the console and make this bind: /bind F1 exec <name of your cfg>.cfg
When you are recording hit F1 from time to time so the killfeed colors and hud don't go to stock.

1. Press F1 to execute your movie cfg again.
2. Press F2 to execute your bind, the game will be in slow timescale and the Fraps FPS will drop to 30 FPS.
3. Press the key you set in Fraps for recording. (In my case it's Num + as you can see from the picture above.)
When you pressed the key the FPS in the top left corner will be red. That means it's recording.

After you've done recording press the key you set in Fraps for recording and it'll stop recording. 
Now you can close Cod4.

Virtual Dub

After you closed Cod4 you'll see a new folder on your desktop called "Fraps". In that folder are located the files you recorded, they'll be in .avi.
Now you have to open Virtual Dub and open the file(s) in the Fraps folder. After you did that go to Video>Frame Rate and set the Frame Rate to 480
It'll look like this:
9n4c3Lg.png

Now go to File>Save as AVI and it'll start compressing. 
After the compression is done you are ready to edit in Sony Vegas.

Editing

Now, before you start up Sony Vegas, you have to put your CC (the .MBLook file you got with your movie cfg) in the right place.
To do that, go to C:\Program Files\LooksBuilder\Looks and make a new folder called "CoD4CC" and put your CC in that folder.

Now start up Sony Vegas.
Firstly, go to File>Open and open the file you recorded. 
I'm not going to explain the whole editing process, if u want i will create another tut on editing

So yeah, that's basically everything basic about recording and editing, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial smile.png

-Purity

Great tutorial man! Thanks :)

Good tutorial for beginners.

The mbl isn't really needed and could/should be explained in more detail if you make another tutorial on editing.

It'd be good if you linked where to get configs and stuff (cfg factory etc).

Also, for people that can't be bothered to use vdub (me) just record in timescale 0.1 60fps throw it in vegas and speed it up (600fps right there).

If I do any more cod4 edits though I'll probably follow this tutorial as my PC isn't the best for high quality uncompressed video in vegas and the other benefits of using vdub.

Good tutorial for beginners.

The mbl isn't really needed and could/should be explained in more detail if you make another tutorial on editing.

It'd be good if you linked where to get configs and stuff (cfg factory etc).

Also, for people that can't be bothered to use vdub (me) just record in timescale 0.1 60fps throw it in vegas and speed it up (600fps right there).

If I do any more cod4 edits though I'll probably follow this tutorial as my PC isn't the best for high quality uncompressed video in vegas and the other benefits of using vdub.

ty for your notes, help a lot 

just my way of editing! begginer explanation ;)

Eww, fraps :(

Stop hating, hater

You can do a lot better than Fraps, my friend. 

Cat, just because you can't run it, doesn't make it bad :dumb:

p.s pewdiepie uses fraps.

Well, fraps is not that bad. Could care less that pewdiepie uses it too :P

But I'd rather use shadowplay (Nvidia only)

Personal choice lads, i find it easier to use and i know how to use it

this is BASIC recording and editiing and most people are familiar and can easily use fraps :)

Although you can use whatever u prefer ;)

Dxtory, OBS, Action! All work, I prefer Dxtory for long videos, OBS for streaming.