Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darmuh

Unreal Engine 4 is now free for Educational Use

7 posts in this topic

Epic Games is now offering academic institutions and their students free access to the Unreal Engine 4 toolset in an apparent effort to seed its technology among the next generation of game developers.

Starting today, academic faculty can apply for a free UE4 license on behalf of themselves or their students through a form on the education section of the company's website.

Gamasutra quickly touched base with Unreal Engine 4 general manager Ray Davis over email to learn more about how the program will work, what developers can expect to get out of it and what Epic hopes to gain from seeding free copies of its engine to students around the world.

How is Epic rolling this out to academic institutions? Does this version of the engine differ in any meaningful way from the UE4 toolset our readers are currently using?

Davis: "Academic institutions and their students will get access to the same UE4 already available to everyone today. Students will be able to take the same projects they’ve created in the classroom with UE4 and continue them at home as though they were a regular game developer. They’ll have access to all the features and updates as we release them, including live access to the engine’s entire source code."

Does Epic claim any rights over projects created using the free academic version of UE4, or does it place any restrictions on how those projects may be distributed and sold?

Davis: "Epic isn’t claiming any rights over projects created through academic use and students will be free to distribute their works as they wish. There are no hidden surprises – we want students to have the freedom to take what they’ve created through their courses and ship them like any other project. Arguably shipping a game is one of the biggest learning opportunities in the development process and it’d be silly for us to somehow make that more difficult for students."

Of course, you have to be an instructor to apply for keys, but this is good news for those of you enrolled in courses such as "video game development, computer science, art, architecture, simulation, and visualization programs."

Check out the article at -> https://www.unrealengine.com/education

Hmmm, I wonder if english teacher counts :D

Why arent you a teaching teaching computer science? You seem good at it.

Why arent you a teaching teaching computer science? You seem good at it.

No offense to my lovely ninja but cod4 script & web script isn't enough to teach + he probably did an english teaching course before thinking about scripting and whatnot so it'd mean he'd have to go back to university I believe and start a whole new course. Anyway, he fits an English teacher, handsome, smart, beautiful, amazing.

No offense to my lovely ninja but cod4 script & web script isn't enough to teach + he probably did an english teaching course before thinking about scripting and whatnot so it'd mean he'd have to go back to university I believe and start a whole new course. Anyway, he fits an English teacher, handsome, smart, beautiful, amazing.

:sir: