Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael / ExclusionsHD

Steam Scams/How to Avoid them!

28 posts in this topic

Hello members of Raid Gaming! I have made videos a while ago in which educated people on scams and how to avoid them. This information may not be relevant to everyone, so watch it if you need to, hopefully this helps some people on the forums. Let me know. Thanks!

Thanks guys, and please enjoy!

Top 5 Most Popular Scams used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJKVp3ZG9wk

How to keep your account safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkr7EvW2OQA

Bonus Video:

Scammer Caught in The Act:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9I7Pw7tSuA

Where were you BEFORE I was stupid and clicked It? :dave:

Why didn't you know not to click random links online, especially steam links after the thread PsychoB****** made regarding it? :dave:

Anyways, Firefox is best browser?

Disliked and unsubbed :troll:

Do hope that those in which this stuff more so effects (I mainly just use steam for communication) find it useful

>Because every scam is csgo-related.

Anyway, these videos were somewhat helpful however I already knew about it since somebody made a topic before... and something else happened :dave:

I've been waiting around for 10 days for Steam Support to unlock my account... I read somewhere that 48 hours is the average response time :okay:

No offence, but people who trust a random person or click on random links kinda deserve it, so they will be more careful in future. 

Anyway, good that you've made a video about it, hope less people will fall for this cheap tricks now.

I'm more worried that majority of you gets tricked so easily. It's like the ABC's of the internet...

Actually I'm more worried that majority of the people that go on the internet can get scammed so easily... like all these scams i've seen are so god damn obvious.

1) paying via paypal for csgo skin? like wtf you can use paypal to put funds onto your steam wallet >>> http://i.imgur.com/k1CJi3G.png <<<<

2) why on earth would you give your friend something with value for free

3) why the fuck would you click random links on the internet, it's like clicking on every single AD on the internet

4) who the hell doesn't check to see if they're getting the item they want when trading, like ALWAYS READ. Does any of you even check the recet you get when buying something from a shop/online to make sure you paid the correct amount or when you get money from your bank, check to make sure you withdraw the amount you wanted.

and loads more... you don't need a god damn tut to tell you what a scam is as they happen in the real world as wel... ;_;

tl;dr not hard to spot scammer, if you get scammed, you deserve to be scammed for being an idiot

oh and michael, stop making videos of how to spot a scammer, if you have the biggest one injected into your computer called norton :dave:

Best anti scam method, your fucking brain. Same goes to the best anti virus. the only thing i had on my pc was a little adware, was easy to remove. I have my pc for 1 and a half years now.

Then i see people with trojans and worms, and i'm actually wondering what they're doing on the internet all day.

You guys need to realise that I'm relatively new to the social aspect of the Internet (minus Facebook) and so I don't have much experience to help me decide whether something is safe or not. Understand that (somehow I don't have a virus but that's another story) if I had a virus... that would have been the FIRST virus I would ever have had. I DON'T know how to handle these situations NOR how to prevent it. At least now I do, this whole ordeal was my teacher, teaching me the ABC's of the Internet the hard way. 

Another point: If it had come from ANYONE else but Waffles, I wouldn't have clicked it... The "WTF DUDE" was just the kind of message I'd expect to see from him. Also take into consideration that I hadn't seen anything like this before, and I know I'm stupid with this shit, but I do not know how "clever" some of these things are. Such that it can impersonate someone else. It was all new to me.

I'm obviously talking about a different scam... the ones displayed in the video are IMO very obvious and personally, I wouldn't fall for that :dave:

the "WTFDUDE" scam was obvious but you still clicked it, the url was the biggest give away about it. Even when i was new to the internet, I knew not to click anything dodgy and stick to the "popular" websites and i was still a child when I had access to the internet. But you also downloaded a package expecting it to "boost" your internet, that's as bad as the download ram thing.

Virus wise, i've had my fair share but i always notice when i have a malware or something on my pc because things start to become unresposive, mouse sens starts acting weird etc... and i have 3 different anti-viruses on my pc as having one isn't enough because different company update at different times but I always make sure i have the best ones that i can have. I'm not going to call some one stupid for getting a virus because you can simply get a virus from anything e.g popular websites that gets hacked and some one placed a malware on there, putting your USB stick into a infected pc which transfer to your USB stick so when you place it in your PC you get infected etc... so this is why you should always have an anti-viru/malware on your PC because not all viruses are noticeable as well.

It has nothing to do with being new to the "social aspect of the internet", it's just common knowledge just like real life when you have bank recets, letters etc... if you want to bin them, shred them up first into little pieceses or don't go into random house insurances etc... because you need the money. All that kind of stuff is the same with viruses/scams on the internet.

End of the day, it doesn't matter who it comes from, you should always question it no matter if it's on the internet or in RL. You should always think about it before doing it.

Another point: If it had come from ANYONE else but Waffles, I wouldn't have clicked it... The "WTF DUDE" was just the kind of message I'd expect to see from him. 

That's understandable.

People should be able to trust me but I pretty much let everybody down.

Anyway, I use imgur :troll:

That's understandable.

People should be able to trust me but I pretty much let everybody down.

Anyway, I use imgur :troll:

Unlike Simon (Tinman), you actually warned me was a bad link on steam

So, at least you're more trustable than him :troll:

Wouldn't download for me, cri evry tim :okay:

Unlike Simon (Tinman), you actually warned me was a bad link on steam

So, at least you're more trustable than him :troll:

Wouldn't download for me, cri evry tim :okay:

Yea I guess but I didn't warn Tinman (or Jules) in time.

I did eventually send the message I copied and pasted to everybody but I have 239 friends and T is quite far in to the alphabet :okay:

Anyway, he saw it probably just a couple seconds after I posted it whereas it took me a minute to respond..

Without turning this into an argument, I'd like to "defend" myself from your claims.

the "WTFDUDE" scam was obvious but you still clicked it, the url was the biggest give away about it. Even when i was new to the internet, I knew not to click anything dodgy and stick to the "popular" websites and i was still a child when I had access to the internet.

It was obvious to you NOT to me. I couldn't care what you were like when you were new to the Internet because you are not me, and will not behave or see things the same as me. The url was no different from any other url I had seen, maybe to you it was obvious but all I saw, was a .scr (in my head a screenshot) and it was coming from Waffles... the main person I'd expect it to come from.

It has nothing to do with being new to the "social aspect of the internet", it's just common knowledge just like real life when you have bank recets, letters etc... if you want to bin them, shred them up first into little pieceses or don't go into random house insurances etc... because you need the money. All that kind of stuff is the same with viruses/scams on the internet.

It has EVERYTHING to do with being new to the social aspects of the Internet! After only ever chatting with my CLOSE friends online on Facebook, Whatsapp etc... to come to Steam (only made account in August) and forums (in July) I was and kinda still am new to this part of the Internet.

I have learnt my lesson however, and now I won't ever do such a thing again. This is my first encounter with a scam/virus and didn't know the appropriate way to handle it. Thankfully, I do now :)

But you also downloaded a package expecting it to "boost" your internet, that's as bad as the download ram thing.

I was merely following the recommendations of someone else who I had assumed had success with. I did not expect it to do anything, I just thought I'd give it a go, nothing to lose.

http://gyazo.com/2a29f4c6bd2794c9f7dff472d92346db

A few of you seem to think that everyone on the Internet must have the same amount of knowledge regarding what and what not to click but the reality is that they don't. Not many people stay online for as long as you do, and not many care or are aware of the consequences of clicking such a link; which to them, is perfectly safe. Please broaden your perspectives, and understand that not everybody is as experienced as you and they are certainly not "stupid" because of it.

Tropico 5.

I'm more worried that majority of you gets tricked so easily. It's like the ABC's of the internet...

Actually I'm more worried that majority of the people that go on the internet can get scammed so easily... like all these scams i've seen are so god damn obvious.

1) paying via paypal for csgo skin? like wtf you can use paypal to put funds onto your steam wallet >>> http://i.imgur.com/k1CJi3G.png <<<<

3) why the fuck would you click random links on the internet, it's like clicking on every single AD on the internet

4) who the hell doesn't check to see if they're getting the item they want when trading, like ALWAYS READ. Does any of you even check the recet you get when buying something from a shop/online to make sure you paid the correct amount or when you get money from your bank, check to make sure you withdraw the amount you wanted.

and loads more... you don't need a god damn tut to tell you what a scam is as they happen in the real world as wel... ;_;

tl;dr not hard to spot scammer, if you get scammed, you deserve to be scammed for being an idiot

oh and michael, stop making videos of how to spot a scammer, if you have the biggest one injected into your computer called norton :dave:

Daaaamnn that was cold Lossy

I've been waiting around for 10 days for Steam Support to unlock my account... I read somewhere that 48 hours is the average response time :okay:

Took 20+ days for mine. It is worth it. I got all my stuff back. :)

Daaaamnn that was cold Lossy

i hope you got rid of norton.

What is wrong with it?

Nothing, I personally think norton does a great job protecting your computer from viruses. However, from a gamer's perspective, norton is awful because it takes up so much of your CPU and RAM that it puts a huge damper on your in-game graphics performance. 

Nothing, I personally think norton does a great job protecting your computer from viruses. However, from a gamer's perspective, norton is awful because it takes up so much of your CPU and RAM that it puts a huge damper on your in-game graphics performance. 

Wow. I should have known that gaming performance.. But yeah, Norton saved my behind COUNTLESS times from my stupidity. I like Norton.

Why to remove norton

• Gives out false scan reports
  • Hogs up your PC
  • It's so far behind on antiviruses
  • Norton doesn't save you from viruses rofl
  • Antiviruses that are free do a better job than norton
  • Has a backdoor in it
  • Hard to get rid as a simple "uninstall" won't get rid of it

Backdoor source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#FBI_cooperation

uninstall source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Uninstallation & having norton years ago, had to use anti-malware etc.. to get rid of it rofl

false reports source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Update_disables_legitimate_software and do anti-virus scan with another anti-virus like avg because after i uninstalled after my last check, it said it my pc has 0 viruses, did a scan with my avg that i installed, picked up loads and anti-malware picked up even more as well as norton rofl

Can link more if you want?

It used to be good, but over years it has gone to shit like McaFee

Why to remove norton

• Gives out false scan reports
  • Hogs up your PC
  • It's so far behind on antiviruses
  • Norton doesn't save you from viruses rofl
  • Antiviruses that are free do a better job than norton
  • Has a backdoor in it
  • Hard to get rid as a simple "uninstall" won't get rid of it

Backdoor source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#FBI_cooperation

uninstall source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Uninstallation & having norton years ago, had to use anti-malware etc.. to get rid of it rofl

false reports source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Update_disables_legitimate_software and do anti-virus scan with another anti-virus like avg because after i uninstalled after my last check, it said it my pc has 0 viruses, did a scan with my avg that i installed, picked up loads and anti-malware picked up even more as well as norton rofl

Can link more if you want?

It used to be good, but over years it has gone to shit like McaFee

Then explain all of the awards it receives? My mom had norton literally 2 weeks ago and I uninstalled it through control panel to install Kaspersky. I had zero problems uninstalling it. I think your information is outdated. The main issue it has now is just CPU hogging. False scans may be true, not sure. It's not late on antiviruses, it does a 500% better job than AVG/avast!(The best free AV programs). The main problem with your "sources" as well is that you're using wikipedia. And also, AVG as a free antivirus has to be much more picky about what it picks up to give you, the consumer, the impression that it's doing the same job as a paid one. Norton typically quarantines files immediately and takes care of them itself in the background. AVG doesn't do that, which is why norton says nothing whereas AVG says a ton.