Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drazy

Bring back map secrets and lifes!

32 posts in this topic

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe bring back some of the old secrets in some of the maps! I understand they may boost you to the end but that's the fun in being able to complete them. 

As for lifes, I think it would add an interesting twist back into deathrun, just make them a little harder to earn or something. 

These are just my opinions and suggestions so please no harsh feedback  :unsure:

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe bring back some of the old secrets in some of the maps! I understand they may boost you to the end but that's the fun in being able to complete them. 

As for lifes, I think it would add an interesting twist back into deathrun, just make them a little harder to earn or something. 

These are just my opinions and suggestions so please no harsh feedback  :unsure:

I think the reason they were removed is because it gives players an unfair advantage. For example, if someone is really good at codjumper and completed a secret that takes them to the end before anyone can complete the traps then it's unfair for those people who only play deathrun. 

For example; if someone were new to deathrun and didn't know what to do, you'd tell them to run the map and avoid traps correct? You wouldn't tell them to learn how to play codjumper then come back to deathrun just to complete a map.

As for lives, i can semi agree that they should be added but made harder to get *cough* SM World free lives everywhere is too easy *cough*. But these would have to be disabled on some maps like highrise, twitch. Also, thinking about it now, if you were to play a map and die quite far then use a life, you'd be killed by the Anti-spawn camp.

well, i left diehard secret open as a experiment and people just use it to time waste :c

To be honest, would much rather not have lives nor most/full map skipping secrets

Secrets like that are unfair not only to the activator (Who can't kill the jumpers since they've basically skipped the whole course) but to other players as well (Those that either can't reach the right fps for the secret or simply unable to do it)

More or less ruins the point of deathrun and overall makes more dull

As well, if you wish to play a cod jumper like secret in a deathrun map, perhaps would be better to just play CJ (Which raid does have)

As for lives, more often than not, ends up dragging on the rounds due to the player needing to re-do the whole course

And since players can get up to three lives, most others will have to wait much longer than originally would have

Not only that, but unfair to other players as well

Not every player could get to the end of the map (Or first for that matter) and kill the activator

Usually the better of the server's players hoard lives while the rest of the players can't do anything and left waiting as they respawn multiple time and continue to play

Anyways, some of the maps' secrets could be edited to teleport players to a more fair location, but not sure if anyone would actually want to go through all that work

For lives, perhaps just a single life being the max amount you're able to obtain, but still would rather not have it be an option 

indipyramid had the best secrets :happycry:

This.

The pyramid thingy was a cool secret because it wasn't codjumper and it was really fun. Though it would take up time + the second secret is still open :)

Overall though, no secrets pls, when I read the title I lost faith in humanity (no offense Drazy)

1. Secrets: Only secrets with one try only. No time waste and shit.

About Lifes, I dont like them. If you fail, you fail. You go for it again next round. 

I think the reason they were removed is because it gives players an unfair advantage. For example, if someone is really good at codjumper and completed a secret that takes them to the end before anyone can complete the traps then it's unfair for those people who only play deathrun. 

For example; if someone were new to deathrun and didn't know what to do, you'd tell them to run the map and avoid traps correct? You wouldn't tell them to learn how to play codjumper then come back to deathrun just to complete a map.

As for lives, i can semi agree that they should be added but made harder to get *cough* SM World free lives everywhere is too easy *cough*. But these would have to be disabled on some maps like highrise, twitch. Also, thinking about it now, if you were to play a map and die quite far then use a life, you'd be killed by the Anti-spawn camp.

well, i left diehard secret open as a experiment and people just use it to time waste :c

In response to Troll, I agree and also disagree with you haha, I understand your point on players not being able to do them but didn't we all start out like that? We learned over time and if the players really wanted to do it they will probably have the determination to do so! 

In response to Lossy, (THIS IS IN NO WAY A SMART ASS REMARK DONT HATE PLZ LOL) but we have server admins for people like this, though we may not be on all the time, we will be able to deal with it. Although not an official rule I see, we could possible implement one for the more "immature" players of the server, so we will not have to deal with time wasters. (Possible a community vote?)

Again, just thoughts, I may be rambling about nothing haha. 

Thanks for your time!

Edit: also agree with Echo XD, lifes really aren't a big deal, would just make things interesting.

Me and darmuh removed not because they're "CoDjumper" stuff but because it was a disvantage for the activator, he can't stop them within the secret which means anyone that was decent at CJ would always finish and win. I also don't care if you have to enter the area after a couple of traps, it's not hard for people to wait for others to force the activator to activate then enter and then finish.

But it's not just "CoDJumper" stuff, anything that gives the activator a disvantage, la huge one as example teleports to skip the map, god mode, jetpack/noclip them kind of over powerered stuff where the activator don't stand a chance is removed as it makes the game crap for the activator as there nothing he can do with the traps to attempt to stop them at any point of the map.

So they'll never return. I'm also aware that some maps like qube still have these things but they aren't just as simple as removing the script unless you want the whole map to be broken. :)

Me and darmuh removed not because they're "CoDjumper" stuff but because it was a disvantage for the activator, he can't stop them within the secret which means anyone that was decent at CJ would always finish and win. I also don't care if you have to enter the area after a couple of traps, it's not hard for people to wait for others to force the activator to activate then enter and then finish.

But it's not just "CoDJumper" stuff, anything that gives the activator a disvantage, la huge one as example teleports to skip the map, god mode, jetpack/noclip them kind of over powerered stuff where the activator don't stand a chance is removed as it makes the game crap for the activator as there nothing he can do with the traps to attempt to stop them at any point of the map.

So they'll never return. I'm also aware that some maps like qube still have these things but they aren't just as simple as removing the script unless you want the whole map to be broken. :)

eh i don't feel qube's secret is really that OP since you die if you fail. Just wish the teleport was further back...

We could add the secrets back, like the diehard one, and have it teleport you back to the start of the map when you finish. And take the failsafe, teleports and have them kill you so people can't waste time in the secret. Problem is, just doing a secret is time wasting.

However a lot of people say secrets adds to the experience of the map which more or less is true. But would you like to break the balance of the mod just for that extra feature? I don't blame you guys for wanting to use secrets, I more or less blame mappers like myself for putting server owners like ourselves in this situation...

Anyway, a more black and white issue, lives. They were removed because like anti said, those who were good could easily collect 3+ lives (lives were never maxed at 3 and you could have an unlimited amount). It was just too easy to get a life. 1 kill for 1 life? Please I could get 8 kills in one match. That with servers giving lives via rtd, maps giving lives in secrets, etc. made it practically impossible for veteran players to die. I would play a map for one to three rounds and already be bored of it since I was able to just spawn in when I died and redo things. With how things are now, one mistake and you're gone for the round. There's no do-overs.

We could add lives back, but in my opinion it should be a challenging task to get a life and they should max out at 1. Now with that said, what's actually challenging in deathrun?

Finishing a map is just as easy as getting a kill. Activating traps is simple as pressing F on a trigger whether someone is there or not.

Sure there are things specific to each map like finishing x map in under x seconds but we need a global challenge that would work on every map.

I can only really think of perhaps recursive challenges such as finishing the map x times (x being at least over 3) in a row. Surviving x rounds in a row (x being at least over 5). Killing x people in one round (x being over 3). etc.

Or perhaps we could work lives into the challenge system in that when you unlock a challenge you gain a life you can redeem. But then wouldn't people be able to stockpile their lives? Well, yes. But there'd be a limited amount of lives considering the limited amount of challenges.

Either way, both of these suggestions are touchy subjects and were removed for a reason. However if the effort was made tweaking them we could MAYBE add them back.

That's up to lossy and whoever else he has helping him with the mod these days (if anyone)...

eh i don't feel qube's secret is really that OP since you die if you fail. Just wish the teleport was further back...

We could add the secrets back, like the diehard one, and have it teleport you back to the start of the map when you finish. 

The problem with Qube's secret is that while it can kill you, some people are so good at doing it, they'll finish before I can get to the end of activating.

And doing the diehard thing would be good but anti spawn camping kills you xD

Everything else Darmuh said I agree with.

I got a idea tho, the idea is when you die you need to wait LONG before you can play again for fuck sake.. Thats the main reason why Deathrun is boring now and a bit hating of it. You die easily and need to wait again very long..

I told this to Lossy once if he could fix this, when you die you're a ghost and can "exercise/play" the map but you can't choose the rooms or die or kill the activator. He said he could do this but isn't in the mood and would take time to make this.

I got a idea tho, the idea is when you die you need to wait LONG before you can play again for fuck sake.. Thats the main reason why Deathrun is boring now and a bit hating of it. You die easily and need to wait again very long..

This would make the map even more long which would be very annoying.

I wouldn't say Bosnian's idea deserves 3 downvotes because I can see what he's getting at and it's a good idea that's worked in other game modes.. For example TTT in Garry's Mod:

I dunno if it could work in deathrun but you could allow players to spawn back in on a different team (like a third team if that's possible?) and make them not able to kill anybody.

Maybe that could work... But to be honest, Bosnian is the first person to be complaining about that issue and it's part of the gamemode. But yea, didn't deserve 3 downvotes.

To be honest Bosnian's idea is not bad.

If all the jumpers die and become ghost then the round is over, activator wins.

When you become a ghost, your dead count is added by one.

The players who still alive can't see the ghosts (dunno this can be done in dr)

You could choose when you die to become a ghost or be dead and spectate.

Making people spawn as "ghosts" isn't hard to do, it's just making it so they can't interact with other people in the game the hard part. E.g not setting of map triggers, damaging the activator etc..

I'd rather skip rs deathrun any day, well any of their servers thank you very much.

Because I'm pretty sure the reasons why you shouldn't is quite obvious :)

I joined to see what it was like and when I entered it displayed a city which is semi-accurate to where I live and I was like NOOOPE!

Because I'm pretty sure the reasons why you shouldn't is quite obvious :)

I am little African boy... it is not obvious to me :okay: Is it too much to ask why I shouldn't? Or is it a secret?  :ph34r:

I am little African boy... it is not obvious to me :okay: Is it too much to ask why I shouldn't? Or is it a secret?  :ph34r:

1) They have a built in aimbot/wall/explosive bulllets etc... for certain players, not sure if its still there but i have evidence for that, believe i have a demo of it somewhere :dumb:

2) One of their developers was part the "cd-key stealing"

3) One of their leaders "Crazy" is ignorant but the other leader guy is alright and actually hears your opinion and has some common sense.

4) He's(crazy) openly accused me of cd-key stealing or what ever on his website with no evidence, yet he wants to do it himself and told me himself on xfire, would post that log but it's on my old pc :dumb:

5) Their members threatens to ddos people, had to ban a couple of them from raid's because they kept going on how they're going to do it and shit. But not sure if they actually do it.

and more :dumb:

TL;DR they have 1 immature leader who pretty much wants to ruin whats left in the CoD4 scene imo and lots of immature members and one day the mature leader will sort the shit out (hopefully) :dave:

They have ghost mode on rs deathrun if anyone want try it 

Yeah but its kinda sucky, When you are actually spectacting you can barely tell who is actually the REAL last jumper alive because you can spectate the ghosts so that gets confusing at times

Well, i quickly scripted it. Now here some problems i'm going to already ran/run into and ideal bypasses, just want to hear some opinions

1) Stopping ghost runners from opening up stuff, I'm able to stop all end rooms since most end room maps use the same triggers etc... which will make it easiser for me to do but there still some maps that would break but i can easily make it something like if( self.ghostRunner != true ) carry on with end room script but will still be a problem with other things like secrets and stuff but they don't really worry me unless it gives the player a trail/model/weapon but i can easily stop model/weapon from happening by removing model upon collecting just like the dog model :)

2) I believe if you're in spectator team you can't actually "spectate" them, not 100% unless the game doesn't go base on team but if you're sessionstate is "playing"

3)  Name tags appearing, again if i put you in spectator/hide your player model, i believe people can't see it, not 100% sure still.

4) taking damage from activator/other players, again easy to stop within the game logic, i'll see what i can do :sir:

But i believe braxi can correct me as he most likely probably did some testing stuff like this before as I haven't so it will be pretty new to me :P

tl;dr it's easy to do but so much testing needed to be done otherwise there loads of problems  :angryarnold:

I think it's a bad idea, its basically unlimited freerun, i think maps should be learnt using trial and error, you can try do something that might be faster but you have the chance of dieing, with ghost run you can just try it over and over.

Well, i quickly scripted it. Now here some problems i'm going to already ran/run into and ideal bypasses, just want to hear some opinions

1) Stopping ghost runners from opening up stuff, I'm able to stop all end rooms since most end room maps use the same triggers etc... which will make it easiser for me to do but there still some maps that would break but i can easily make it something like if( self.ghostRunner != true ) carry on with end room script but will still be a problem with other things like secrets and stuff but they don't really worry me unless it gives the player a trail/model/weapon but i can easily stop model/weapon from happening by removing model upon collecting just like the dog model :)

Is it somehow possible to disable keys while they're ghosts? or get the players current bind key for use change it to something non-existant and then change it back to their original key once they're not a ghost.