building a pc at work ^^

25 posts in this topic

l0tJ8Rc.jpg

SznZTxo.jpg

maUOaJg.jpg

OcFwt95.jpg

5pyZcEy.jpg

Will edit this topic later!

So the first PC is done and the second one as well :), tried my best to manage the cables but the case is not really good for cable management..

Specifications:

• Intel Core i5-4460
  • 8 GB of RAM DDR3, 1 stick
  • Intel SSD 250GB up to 6GB/s, idk which one it is exactly
  • Nvidia GT 720 2GB DDR3
  • Motherboard from MSI: H81M-P33
  • Case is from Antec
  • Some cheap ass 460 WATT power supply

Nice but work on your cable management, it can cause airflow problems and it will be a pain in the ass future when you're trying to swap parts in/out

One thing that's confusing me is, why did you go for an SSD with a work machine and not one with more storage? You don't really need SSD speeds for work machines.

Other than that, nice choice of parts and installation for the use of the machine ^^

One thing that's confusing me is, why did you go for an SSD with a work machine and not one with more storage? You don't really need SSD speeds for work machines.

Most storage is going to be on a server, not on the machine itself in a "work place".

Nice but work on your cable management, it can cause airflow problems and it will be a pain in the ass future when you're trying to swap parts in/out

Eh.. I know but as I said, this is not a case for cable management, tried to get all cables together and zip it together and to pull it down somewhere but wasn't that easy as 1) cables weren't that long and 2) the case it self is quite small (the parts in it) :dave:

Other than that, nice choice of parts and installation for the use of the machine ^^

Most storage is going to be on a server, not on the machine itself in a "work place".

This

And

eh.. why 1x8GB over 2x4GB on a dual-channel mobo? :dave:

I don't know, ask my boss xD

I'd say you did a nice job with a non modular psu

I'd say you did a nice job with a non modular psu

XOKb0yw.jpg

quite understandable from you :troll: :troll:  :troll:

quite understandable from you :troll:  :troll:  :troll:

Because people love looking at the back of their case right. 

Because people love looking at the back of their case right. 

because people keep their shit hidden with windowless cases they dont have to use 13 zipties for nothing  :dumb:

0ggVTPF.jpg

because people keep their shit hidden with windowless cases they dont have to use 13 zipties for nothing :dumb:

0ggVTPF.jpg

lol. The reason why people do that is so they can get the back plate on.. Not everyone likes to stuff their wires in the front of the case like you clearly do

lol. The reason why people do that is so they can get the back plate on.. Not everyone likes to stuff their wires in the front of the case like you clearly do

meh, just cba to rape the front panel wires by pulling them tight through the back of the case when they might just come straight down from top of the dvd bay to where they belong. other than the 6 front panel wires (:dumb:) theres just the dvd sata + power cable

ye it could be cleaned up a bit but why bother when the wires are not in the way :sir:

inb4 "bad airflow" :kingdave: not really a problem when the ambient temp is 20*C throughout the year

gki9bIx.png

Why did you get GT720 for your work machine? It's likely worse than the integrated graphics in your CPU :dave:

Why did you get GT720 for your work machine? It's likely worse than the integrated graphics in your CPU :dave:

It's for a customer, not for my self :dave: The customer does AutoCAD as work and I need only to put the parts together :dave:

Hmm. If he does AutoCAD IMO I would spend a bit extra for an i7

Hmm. If he does AutoCAD IMO I would spend a bit extra for an i7

If that guy was doing _I mean, really_ serious work in AutoCAD he'd get loads of ram and not the consumer i7 but the 2011-v3 beast and FirePro/Quadro top tier GPU, or even the server/workstation motherboard with two Xeon CPUs.

For light to medium *CAD/PS/3D/DB projects this i5 paired with 8GB of ram (upgradeable to 16gb in future) will be more than enough.

If that guy was doing _I mean, really_ serious work in AutoCAD he'd get loads of ram and not the consumer i7 but the 2011-v3 beast and FirePro/Quadro top tier GPU, or even the server/workstation motherboard with two Xeon CPUs.

For light to medium *CAD/PS/3D/DB projects this i5 paired with 8GB of ram (upgradeable to 16gb in future) will be more than enough.

from what I read an i7 is 10% more powerful in certain projects. Not everyone has money for those kind of CPUs and would just get am i7

welp, some xeon are basically the same as i7 with the price of an i5.. or used to be :dumb: their prices have actually gone up like 100€ :dumb: got my xeon e3-1231v3 for 170€ in 2014 :sir:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1231-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/m11040vs2310

In the future when I'm gonna build a gaming PC, I will use a Xeon CPU, ty for the tip :Dave:

from what I read an i7 is 10% more powerful in certain projects.

G3258 is faster than i7 [all of them] in certain projects

prove me wrong. :doge: :doge: :doge:

G3258 is faster than i7 [all of them] in certain projects

prove me wrong. :doge: :doge: :doge:

hyperthreading in certain projects. I'm not bashing on xeons so either way whatever works, works