Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Axo

Deathrun maps as a whole

25 posts in this topic

I must mention that I haven't played Deathrun in at least three years. I do believe the mod hasn't changed much though. However, I feel like there are two options for 'mappers' when developing a map; technically challenging, by creating traps that are intelligently placed or scripted, or maps that are just plain bad.

Hardly any mappers focus on the design aspect of the map. Yes, I know, it should be about the gameplay, rather than the design. However, Call of Duty 4 modding and scripting has progressed so much over the last years, I feel like the community is able to improve the standard design of these rather stale maps. Even though, scripting a map is probably already time-consuming enough, I believe if mappers were to focus on both aspects of the map, so design as well as technical, this would improve the general quality of Deathrun as a whole.

Most of the maps that I view, when they are being released, just consist of a certain type of landscape with random objects placed on them. Back in the day, I remember playing maps and finding secret rooms containing dank memes or their own stories. I remember playing mp_deathrun_nuke, where the creator actually created a room where you could activate the nuke and it would explode. Even though the remainder of the map wasn't really related to anything "Nuke", I believe that room is one of the starting points for creating exciting maps for Deathrun.

Another example is when I played mp_dr_indipyramid, where you actually had quite the Indiana Jones-type feel. Rolling bolders, spinning axes, even the leaves and spiderwebs were added by the creator. This is the kind of thing I am looking for. Detail.

Maybe I'm asking too much or maybe I've just missed the awesome Deathrun map releases.

When I get the feeling that every little aspect of the environment and gameplay has been given a good thought, I can feel the work that has gone into it and get the feeling that the creator cares (passion), providing me with more excitement, joy and energy, whilst playing. I would like to understand your viewpoints about this subject, since I do not play Deathrun on day-to-day (or weekly/monthly) basis.

TL:DR Deathrun maps nowadays are plain landscapes filled with objects that have no connection to each other. Mappers should become more creative, when it comes to design and unleash their inner passion.

If I could, I would double upvote. Same thoughts. I dunno what to write though. I'll just recommend some amazing maps to play.

mp_dr_caelum. Masterpiece - design, idea, traps. The only thing is that it eats your fps too much.
mp_dr_coyote / mp_dr_coyote_v2 - not rly dedicated to title that much, but they have unique traps and weird interesting design.
mp_deathrun_crazy - jumpers are "rats" now - they need to eat rotten tomatoes to move further, eat cheese and try to avoid mousetraps.

mp_deathrun_dungeon - classic map, dungeon style

mp_deathrun_dragonball - dragonball theme

mp_deathrun_factory - factory theme

mp_deathrun_iceops - ice age theme

mp_deathrun_mine - minecraft theme

mp_deathrun_portal_v3 - portal theme, bad traps tho

mp_deathrun_ruin / ruin2 - amazing theme of ancient ruins

mp_deathrun_sg1 - stargate theme

mp_deathrun_underworld - underworld theme

mp_deathrun_wipeout2 - wipeout theme

to be continued....

We know.. but tell that to the 15/16 years old kids :dave:

Basicly they map now and then for the mod. Some of us gave up for mapping as it's pain in the ass to make a themed detailed map, with some decent unique trap idea's and it costs time to make it. Some of us don't have simply the time for it anymore because (Life).

But yeah, I agree.

The thing is, what's the point of spending your time on a really detailed map for a dying cod 4 mod? Things haven't been the same these past years. I use to play when raid had 20+ players a day now I believe they get less than 10 everyday.

EDIT: I mean, as of 1:42 PM EST there's only 2 people playing raid

now I believe they get less than 10 everyday.

It's a miracle if deathrun gets over 10 players

i was being generous shhh

The thing is, what's the point of spending your time on a really detailed map for a dying cod 4 mod? Things haven't been the same these past years. I use to play when raid had 20+ players a day now I believe they get less than 10 everyday.

EDIT: I mean, as of 1:42 PM EST there's only 2 people playing raid

Would upvote this if I hadn't exhausted my daily upvotes on boosting bosnian's rep.

But yeah, CoD4 is dead. There haven't been any genuinely good maps for deathrun in years, and don't expect any to be released ever again. Almost all the good mappers moved on long ago. There are still a couple of experienced mappers in the cod4 community, but I doubt they have the motivation or interest in making anything of particular greatness.

As Mikey/Lossy have said before, just wait for bo3 mod tools; expect big things.

scripting a map is probably already time-consuming enough, I believe if mappers were to focus on both aspects of the map, so design as well as technical, this would improve the general quality of Deathrun as a whole.

Most of the maps that I view, when they are being released, just consist of a certain type of landscape with random objects placed on them. Back in the day, I remember playing maps and finding secret rooms containing dank memes or their own stories.

TL:DR Deathrun maps nowadays are plain landscapes filled with objects that have no connection to each other. Mappers should become more creative, when it comes to design and unleash their inner passion.

Map quality actually degraded over time, the first maps (exclusing darkness) were pretty okay with good lighting and nice designs not the AAA quality but good enough, I think lots of good maps were made back in the day when mod was still private or during v1.1 (and that was 5 years ago), from time to time rycoon, rednose and foolks at 4GF released decent maps (others too, but that was rare).

So what went wrong you ask? Popularity of the mod took it down and people playing on potatoes who had shitty frames even on darkness, and immaturity of modding scene where pretty much nobody respects others work (stealing of scripts, textures and other crap which wouldn't upset anyone at all if credits were given) you know... if you coded that super awesome and new trap and you see it being used in a diferent map from that other guy who states it's his you'd want to fuck it and leave, some people just ported CJ maps over to DR and added a few traps.

I think it's also because newbie mappers aren't patient, making a map takes a time especially if you're a noob at it, people will make maps with horrible bugs and shitty graphics just because then they can make a map within a week or less (some were made in 10hours).

Pretty much any of the 'good' mappers I knew and spoke to have moved to other games or have no plans to make maps.

Map quality actually degraded over time, the first maps (exclusing darkness) were pretty okay with good lighting and nice designs not the AAA quality but good enough, I think lots of good maps were made back in the day when mod was still private or during v1.1 (and that was 5 years ago), from time to time rycoon, rednose and foolks at 4GF released decent maps (others too, but that was rare).

So what went wrong you ask? Popularity of the mod took it down and people playing on potatoes who had shitty frames even on darkness, and immaturity of modding scene where pretty much nobody respects others work (stealing of scripts, textures and other crap which wouldn't upset anyone at all if credits were given) you know... if you coded that super awesome and new trap and you see it being used in a diferent map from that other guy who states it's his you'd want to fuck it and leave, some people just ported CJ maps over to DR and added a few traps.

I think it's also because newbie mappers aren't patient, making a map takes a time especially if you're a noob at it, people will make maps with horrible bugs and shitty graphics just because then they can make a map within a week or less (some were made in 10hours).

Pretty much any of the 'good' mappers I knew and spoke to have moved to other games or have no plans to make maps.

I'd say the start of the downfall of map quality started when I came around. I was definitely in that category of nooby mappers you described. Just look back to how awful the original release of mp_dr_darmuh was. Not that darmuhv2 was much of an improvement.

I think lots of good maps were made back in the day when mod was still private or during v1.1 (and that was 5 years ago), from time to time rycoon, rednose and foolks at 4GF released decent maps (others too, but that was rare).

damn, the 4GF guys made the dankest maps.

the best maps came when the old rotu mappers moved to deathrun iirc

I think a lot of mappers got absolutely shitted on and shut down almost immediately after making terrible maps because they were their first map. Granted I believe it's true that constructive criticism is a good thing, a lot of people hated on them mappers a lot and those mappers never wanted to learn how to map better or map period because they got flamed on so hard. I remember when my first map was released, (which shouldn't have been but we've all been there, right?) I didn't map again for a few months because I got hit hard with the hate for that map.

Don't get me wrong, I deserved it, the map isn't possible with traps activated and I should've deleted the download link a long time ago.

Anyway back to what I was trying to say, people don't give enough constructive criticism and tell mappers how to do things better than they've done, and they go straight to telling them it looks like dog shit, etc. How can people learn off of that? They don't, and when people don't learn they continue to make terrible maps and then they get added to rotations because there is a lack of good maps out there and then bla bla bla I'm rambling now.

Either way,

constructive criticism = good thing

hating on maps without trying to help them = bad thing

simple as that :P

says it's a miracle if deathrun gets 10 players.. 

pXg gets 20 players, sometimes at once, 24 was on the other day maybe 15 are on all the time.... do your research buddy.

the best maps came when the old rotu mappers moved to deathrun iirc

I agree, mappers which were active around ROTU and later made DR maps were rocking, probably because majority of ROTU mappers were seriously talented and experienced with mapping as ROTU really set the bar high in terms to experience needed to make a working map.

says it's a miracle if deathrun gets 10 players.. 

pXg gets 20 players, sometimes at once, 24 was on the other day maybe 15 are on all the time.... do your research buddy.

I'm talking about the raid deathrun server... read the topic before you comment something stupid buddy. ;)

Players who play dr right now only want maps with as many bounces and "sick" jumps as possible, simple traps(hammers, spinning platforms and such) so they can quickly finish the map(cuz time record hungry players). So they can 360 noscope bounce the activator in a hollowed brush with bounces inside(and mappers even dare to call that a sniper room). And if someone as a mapper makes a map with well thought out traps and design, it never gets played because it doesnt have a crappy codjumper secret which skips the entire map and is too much detailed for the average wooden pc to run 333 fps.

If I could, I would double upvote. Same thoughts. I dunno what to write though. I'll just recommend some amazing maps to play.

mp_dr_caelum. Masterpiece - design, idea, traps. The only thing is that it eats your fps too much.

mp_dr_coyote / mp_dr_coyote_v2 - not rly dedicated to title that much, but they have unique traps and weird interesting design.

mp_deathrun_crazy - jumpers are "rats" now - they need to eat rotten tomatoes to move further, eat cheese and try to avoid mousetraps.

mp_deathrun_dungeon - classic map, dungeon style

mp_deathrun_dragonball - dragonball theme

mp_deathrun_factory - factory theme

mp_deathrun_iceops - ice age theme

mp_deathrun_mine - minecraft theme

mp_deathrun_portal_v3 - portal theme, bad traps tho

mp_deathrun_ruin / ruin2 - amazing theme of ancient ruins

mp_deathrun_sg1 - stargate theme

mp_deathrun_underworld - underworld theme

mp_deathrun_wipeout2 - wipeout theme

to be continued....

ahh no matter how much my fps drops on caelum it will forever be my favorite map. its so good

bdd9cd5b9f604de2a37e0e2688fe4b22.png

a146a5f64e014888af9185e911cbcb0e.png

Did your brother post this, or was it you? kek.

The intelligence of the average pXg admin :'D

Sheep is right. People only want a map so they can "show off" their new skills on bounces and cj secret. I map but never released one, cause deathrun community is i love youand is based around 10 years old kid (not all). I'll release my map once I think traps are done correctly and balanced. srsly, look at maps these days. There is like 6 secrets that skip whole map xD.

Sheep is right. People only want a map so they can "show off" their new skills on bounces and cj secret. I map but never released one, cause deathrun community is i love youand is based around 10 years old kid (not all). I'll release my map once I think traps are done correctly and balanced. srsly, look at maps these days. There is like 6 secrets that skip whole map xD.

I keep wanting to ask you about crossyroad and you're always offline on steam when I check :P

If you haven't accepted the community that is deathrun, move on. If you have, adapt and enjoy. All I have left to say as far as this goes. 

why has no one just made a speedrun mod for mappers to make speedrun maps!??!?!?

why has no one just made a speedrun mod for mappers to make speedrun maps!??!?!?

because the community is perfectly fine taking deathrun and playing it like a speedrun mod