Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sentrex

Laptop?

27 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

The reasoning for making this thread is because I'm hoping some of you boffins can help me choose a laptop. I currently use a hefty custom built desktop for pretty much everything I do but since I've recently got a new job which will require a decent laptop, along with sixth form next year I think it's about time I get one.

As for what I would like to do, I don't intend to do too much gaming on it as I will have my PC for that. Perhaps the occasional game of COD4, my main worry in terms of performance are that I would like to do all my mapping / 3D modelling (a course I will start in Sept) on it. I also want to continue with making little things in Python and C++, although I doubt they are very demanding. I may get into VFX again but that's a longshot. In general, something snappy that can perform multiple tasks at once.

One of the main things I need is for it to be portable, yet still with a fair sized screen. I will need to carry it around all day over the next couple of years so I would like something thin and lightweight but can still pack a punch in the performance department.(a lot to ask for, I know).

My budget for this is extremely flexible, anywhere from £300 to £800, but I don't want to overspend. The cheaper I go, the more money I'll have left over. This is one of the main reasons I'm asking this community, I know how to recognise decent specs, but I don't know exactly what kind power I'm going to need.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT - Something I forgot to mention is that I'm BIG on graphics. If at all possible within the price range, I'd prefer something at full HD.

laptop i was looking into when i was thinking of purchasing one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G510-15-6-inch-Laptop-Integrated/dp/B00HR6U0KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405464883&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+g510 

I'm sure it does all the requirements you want it to be able to do :) My original plan though was to upgrade RAM to 16Gb and get a 250gb ssd. Just thought to share as i was looking for a laptop though i changed my mind. 

Mac book air

That thing shines :dave:

inb4 downvotes cause mac :dave:

my main worry in terms of performance are that I would like to do all my mapping

inb4 downvotes cause mac :dave:

HUEHUEHEU

Sorry QueNNch ;__;

ANYWAYS, for a laptop? It sounds like you need to use it for programming/compiling, so you'll need a decent CPU, and for compiling Intel is significantly better than AMD CPU's. Also for 3D Modeling you'll need a decent GPU as well. With these both in mind, a gaming laptop really won't be too bad. Dell also makes a nice laptop, their Studio XPS series are wonderful laptops, my mom has had one for around 5 years and it still runs beautifully. She bought it right around the time Windows 7 came out and it seriously is a beast. Lenovo would also be a good brand to go for as well, it really just all depends on your budget. (Which,in USD is ~500 to ~1400, I'll be using dollars here.)

Lenovo Y510p - ~$1200-$2000, depending on customizability.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/?sb=:000001C9:00011E0C:

You can do different things here with this one. You can SLI the GPU's, and it comes with an i7 4th generation Intel quad-core processor, so it'll handle your compiling and 3d modelling quite well, but is a little bit on the higher side of your budget.

Dell Precision M4700

Running with a 3rd-generation quad-core i7 Intel CPU(upgradable to Intel's vPro technology, allowing for higher clock speeds in mobile CPU's), this will handle your compiling. However, what may make this one good for you is the nVidia Quadro GPU instead of a nVidia GTX GPU. Quadro's are better known for their performance in work-like environments instead of gaming. Quadro's can blow a GTX out of the water in movie rendering and such, but can do absolutely horrible in gaming, whereas GTX's are the exact opposite. It can run CoD4, of course, but the Quadro probably won't stand up very well in newer games. It also may be just a few bucks out of your price range, but it'll do exactly what you need it to and should exceed your expectations in most things non-gaming.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=swct47sf2&model_id=precision-m4700&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

In 15 minutes, this is what I came up with. if you'd like me to post some more, I probably can, just I'm a little busy at the moment and I slacked off from what I was doing. ;__;

Anyways, good luck with your hunt for a new laptop!

-Cat

I don't know much about laptops but I heard that the Acer Aspire gaming laptops are good. 

I searched for more information online and found this site http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/09/03/acer-aspire-v3-772g-9402-gaming-laptop-review/

I hope it helps you Sentrex  :)

Anything Acer is not good. The Lenovo 510p is better than that.

Acer makes perfectly fine gear....I don't know what you're talking about. Just because you've had a bad experience with one of their products doesn't mean their whole brand is bad.

Also, to Kratos, he isn't looking for a gaming laptop, he's looking for a more work-style laptop. Sure, some gaming laptops will work, but you gotta read more about what he's actually requesting.

Acer makes perfectly fine gear....I don't know what you're talking about. Just because you've had a bad experience with one of their products doesn't mean their whole brand is bad.

Also, to Kratos, he isn't looking for a gaming laptop, he's looking for a more work-style laptop. Sure, some gaming laptops will work, but you gotta read more about what he's actually requesting.

Nope. Acer is low quality 

*sigh* Instead of just bashing a product, why don't you explain WHY you think this way? It's the same thing with posting a bug report. I'm reading this the same way as somebody jsut walking up to me and saying,

"It doesn't work"

I seriously don't even want to respond at all and it sorta actually makes me mad when people have these opinions/want help but have absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up. 

Anyways, back to the topic please.

HUEHUEHEU

Sorry QueNNch ;__;

ANYWAYS, for a laptop? It sounds like you need to use it for programming/compiling, so you'll need a decent CPU, and for compiling Intel is significantly better than AMD CPU's. Also for 3D Modeling you'll need a decent GPU as well. With these both in mind, a gaming laptop really won't be too bad. Dell also makes a nice laptop, their Studio XPS series are wonderful laptops, my mom has had one for around 5 years and it still runs beautifully. She bought it right around the time Windows 7 came out and it seriously is a beast. Lenovo would also be a good brand to go for as well, it really just all depends on your budget. (Which,in USD is ~500 to ~1400, I'll be using dollars here.)

Lenovo Y510p - ~$1200-$2000, depending on customizability.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/?sb=:000001C9:00011E0C:

You can do different things here with this one. You can SLI the GPU's, and it comes with an i7 4th generation Intel quad-core processor, so it'll handle your compiling and 3d modelling quite well, but is a little bit on the higher side of your budget.

Dell Precision M4700

Running with a 3rd-generation quad-core i7 Intel CPU(upgradable to Intel's vPro technology, allowing for higher clock speeds in mobile CPU's), this will handle your compiling. However, what may make this one good for you is the nVidia Quadro GPU instead of a nVidia GTX GPU. Quadro's are better known for their performance in work-like environments instead of gaming. Quadro's can blow a GTX out of the water in movie rendering and such, but can do absolutely horrible in gaming, whereas GTX's are the exact opposite. It can run CoD4, of course, but the Quadro probably won't stand up very well in newer games. It also may be just a few bucks out of your price range, but it'll do exactly what you need it to and should exceed your expectations in most things non-gaming.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=swct47sf2&model_id=precision-m4700&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

In 15 minutes, this is what I came up with. if you'd like me to post some more, I probably can, just I'm a little busy at the moment and I slacked off from what I was doing. ;__;

Anyways, good luck with your hunt for a new laptop!

-Cat

Thank you very much for the reply and effort put into it!

I'm currently on my mobile and will look further into these two when I'm back on my pc, but from a couple of quick Google searches here's what I've found:

Both the Lenovo and the Dell seem like great laptops which could both handle what I wish to do, however both come out at around £1000. If you think it really is necessary to spend this amount of money I could increase the budget but it feels like I would be overspending a lot.

With that said, out of those two I think I'd prefer the lenovo. The Dell seems to be a it chunkier which could become a problem.

Once again, thanks a bunch for the help!

My brother has an: Asus N56VV-s4069h, which is a great laptop for it's price (€800)

Will post more info if you want (/when I'm on PC)

laptop i was looking into when i was thinking of purchasing one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G510-15-6-inch-Laptop-Integrated/dp/B00HR6U0KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405464883&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+g510 

I'm sure it does all the requirements you want it to be able to do :) My original plan though was to upgrade RAM to 16Gb and get a 250gb ssd. Just thought to share as i was looking for a laptop though i changed my mind. 

I think he wanted to play games, wai you send him link to a laptop with integrated intel graphics? :facepalm:

Mac book air

That thing shines :dave:

Maybe, but not with OSX because Ubuntu With Linux 3.16 Smashes OS X 10.9.4 On The MacBook Air

And it comes with SLI which drains battery in minutes and usually SLI and CrossFire are crap in mobile devices, I wouldn't bother with laptops which have 2 GPUs :dave:

how about  LENOVO IdeaPad Z510 i5-4200M 4GB 1TB GT740M?

I think he wanted to play games, wai you send him link to a laptop with integrated intel graphics? :facepalm:

Maybe, but not with OSX because Ubuntu With Linux 3.16 Smashes OS X 10.9.4 On The MacBook Air

And it comes with SLI which drains battery in minutes and usually SLI and CrossFire are crap in mobile devices, I wouldn't bother with laptops which have 2 GPUs :dave:

how about  LENOVO IdeaPad Z510 i5-4200M 4GB 1TB GT740M?

Did you think i chose the laptop without knowing what it's capable off x) I checked reviews on games for it - HD8750M 2GB as he said though hes only gonna play the occasion game, He will use his PC the majority of the time for games.

And ofcourse he added the 'edit' part which wasn't there when i posted, didn't think he wanted game to be full HD

*sigh* Instead of just bashing a product, why don't you explain WHY you think this way? It's the same thing with posting a bug report. I'm reading this the same way as somebody jsut walking up to me and saying,

"It doesn't work"

I seriously don't even want to respond at all and it sorta actually makes me mad when people have these opinions/want help but have absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up. 

Anyways, back to the topic please.

:troll:

:troll:

I guess theres nothing wrong with acer.

Sorry to bump this ole topic, I think I've narrowed it down to a couple. But I need people opinion along with an explanation :dave:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j181na-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-silver-10018826-pdt.html#topdeals

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/apple-laptops/apple-macbook-air-11-6-21962969-pdt.html (with Linux)

First of all, I'm appealed to the HP more by looking at specs. Everything seems to be better/on par? The main thing I need help with is, could someone kindly explain how Mac+Linux would work? I understand you just boot up the OS on it but will I be able to everything the same as windows? As in, run the same programs etx? What are the advantages of a Mac over the HP and vice versa, why Linux over Windows blah blah.

Any help would be great c:

HP

2b1526f21c1e6c38d9c02a63f5facb7e.png

Mac 

fe113c7ef10d0fa114e23f7279dba781.png

As a Mac user, I'll just go over my experience with dualbooting/what you can probably get away with:

First off, if you're looking for gaming, dual- or tri-booting with Windows is about the only way I could recommend it. Wine is garbage to configure (imo) and you just won't get the same performance/usage with virtual machines.

If that's not a concern, or you only play a couple of games, I'd say stick to Linux + Wine. If you haven't used Linux before there's obviously going to be a big difference between that and Windows (which you can minimize depending on your distro, e.g., Mint Debian) but imo I think you'll enjoy. Linux is easiest OS to tinker with in my experience, graphically and otherwise.

...but looking at those specs you posted again why the hell aren't you picking HP lol. Unless MBA's size is really appealing to you just stick with the HP. I'll keep my incredibly sparse detailing on Linux there because who knows you might end up liking Linux :dave:

If you go for the MacBook I will found you and eat your Macbook and poop th HP laptop out.

Anyways on a serious note, I would 100% go for the HP one and why?

HP: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor, Memory: 12 GB, Hard drive: 1 TB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M (2 GB DDR3)

Macbook: Intel® Core™ i5 processor, Memory: (4 !!!) GB, Hard drive: 256 GB SSD, I don't see any graphics card?.. but I found on apple website Intel HD Graphics 5000

Hp got Beats Audio aswell :P and that macbook not. So my decission is to go for HP 100% after viewing the specs and the price ofc they are both the same price but holy mother of fk macbook got only 4gb of RAM what is totaly RIDICELOUS.. and HP got 12 GB of RAM. So if you are smart I would go for HP, you will waste your money totaly on that crap laptop macbook.

And about the Linux and Windows part. I will say this on a serious note, with Linux you can't get programs as Windows to install. Windows is way more popular than Linux. But I agree that Linux ubuntu is better then Windows but with Linux when you install programs you need to write codes in the cmd (you can't always install it by a .exe program)

-You can't play some games aswell on Linux

-On windows you can play all games

-On windows you can install all programs what you need, and on Linux you can't install everything sometimes you need to search specialy for that program.

And etc etc for Linux, Linux is just hoping that you can install programs or you need to search it deep if you can install it or not, and by windows you can install what ever you want.

And what Twix said, make a dualboot aswell when you get the HP laptop, 600GB for the windows part and 400GB for the Linux part ^^ and voila problem solved.

yeah that's why I was thinking! I thought there must some hidden amazing thing about the mac because everyone seems to buy one :')

Thanks you too

yeah that's why I was thinking! I thought there must some hidden amazing thing about the mac because everyone seems to buy one :')

Thanks you too

They buy the MAC because of luxe.. really dumb but ok

They buy the MAC because of luxe.. really dumb but ok

Mac*

Anyways, just pick the one you like. Both will work, even though I recommend not to get a macbook.