Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamayka

[WIP] mp_dr_fishy

19 posts in this topic

Hi 

This is a map poseidon has been working on for the past weeks.

Its a medium/big sized map

10 traps

4 end rooms :sniper, jump, knife, maze

easy/medium difficulty

some FeedBack please

Can't see much nor able to play it, so criticism won't be too helpful

However, the red and blue platforms seems very out of place

Other platforms are textured to fit with how the walls look, those should be as well

Only other thing I can directly notice is the bounces where the traps are

If they're for getting past the traps and avoid getting killed when activated, please consider removing them

Ruins the point of the trap being there

*The map is being made by me & Kris

We've set the release date to 30/11/2015 so at that point you should be able to observe it better (and the traps too).

*The map is being made by me & Kris

We've set the release date to 30/11/2015 so at that point you should be able to observe it better (and the traps too).

Why can't you make a topic yourself?

To be honest from what I can see here, the map looks somewhat playable. However this is room for a lot of improvement.

A lot of the map seems like it was just "Oh hey, let's add this here for a trap!" with no thought of which textures to use and why. 

From what I can see, the traps are very generic and lack originality, so maybe that could be worked on a little bit. Again, this is only based on what I can see, because there is no way for me to play this map yet.

The lighting in comparison to the worldspawn settings is way off. For example you have a light in the map that is glowing orange on to the ground, but yet it's sunny outside and you can see the shadows of things, meaning the sun is up. If the sun were up, you wouldn't see as strong of an orange glow as what you have in this map, or maybe the light itself wouldn't even be on. This kinda just ruins the look of the map for me in my opinion.

The level of detail outside the map is minimal, and I don't like that. I can see that you have tried to detail the outside and so far it's looking good-ish. But I think some more detailing could be done. Maybe some mountains, more trees? You've used telephone poles for detail, but they're not connected to anything, maybe this could mean that you have room to place a few buildings or houses to make these poles seem less out of place.

Floating - Brushes. Okay, so floating brushes can be good in some maps that fit the right theme, but only if they are done well. However, you have chosen a detailed theme as your level design, so this means no floating brushes for you. Unless you are in space or something, I don't know. You could fix this problem by just adding pillars, pylons that go in to the water beneath so that the brushes look like they are actually supposed to be there. 

Your water textures. Your water textures are very, very small, as if you haven't re-sized them most mappers forget about this part and it makes all water on their map look like a thousand oceans in one small zone. A lot of people will tell you that when placing water, you should press S on the texture and click fit.  Although this is a somewhat good method to use on water, if your water is too long or not a square shape, stretching will make it look bad. I suggest that if your water isn't already, you turn it in to terrain patches. Once you've turned it in to terrain patches, press S on the texture and adjust the horizontal stretch and vertical stretch yourself until you see results that you want and then click okay. 

The greenery you've used on the sides of things. I like the fact that you're going that extra mile to make your map look detailed by adding decals. BUT, you're using the same decal in the same pattern the exact same way everywhere you are using it. This ruins the detailed look and instead makes your map look like it has been auto generated by the world creator in Minecraft.

These are just some personal things that I find wrong with the map, I'm not expecting you to just completely re-do the map to the way I like it, or else it wouldn't be your map anymore. Instead I just hope that you read this post and take in some of the things I've said to adapt them in your own way :)

as for the outside i did it not so detailed but tried to as long as the fps is more than 125. my previous map was pretty detailed but no one liked it because "it has low fps". sorry but there is no possible way to add details on a map without affecting fps on this game engine since it sucks a bit.

The water is a patch and pretty stretched at the point that it looks the most possible ratural. i really tried a lot of stretches until i came up with this one.

The texture difference doesnt seem to annoy people so much since they like maps with 100x worse texturing so i try to copy them to make a map that people like.

The traps are not so unique because there are hundreds of maps out there that use all the possible combination of traps making it impossible to make something actually unique.

As for the lighting complain to CoD4 creators cuz this is the stock worldspawn settings for this skybox i didnt make anything on that.

In my experience from the last mapi assure you that no one is going to pay attention on the electicity lines or any other details because they simply want to just run the map. thats why all details are minimal.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

as for the outside i did it not so detailed but tried to as long as the fps is more than 125. my previous map was pretty detailed but no one liked it because "it has low fps". sorry but there is no possible way to add details on a map without affecting fps on this game engine since it sucks a bit.

The traps are not so unique because there are hundreds of maps out there that use all the possible combination of traps making it impossible to make something actually unique.

As for the lighting complain to CoD4 creators cuz this is the stock worldspawn settings for this skybox i didnt make anything on that.

1) http://raid-gaming.net/forums/topic/1967-release-mp-chernobyl/This is a very detailed map, and doesn't really cause many people to lag, even on low end PC's. (Help me out here Caspa, you probably have the shittest PC here). 

2) There is no "all possible combinations", you just aren't opening your mind. Make a Fus-ro-dah trap? Make a water tower that explodes or spills water on to the players? make a model of a dog or a group of dogs go after players that are activated on and play the animation on them? Make a helicopter fly over and gun them down? None of those have been done so far in any map except the first one and it took me 30 seconds to come up with those ideas. There is no running out of combinations, there is only a closed mind or laziness.

3) "Stock worldspawn settings for this skybox". You just said it yourself, stock. Why don't you create your own worldspawn settings or just tweak the ones you've got? Because what you're doing is creating a map that has night time lighting, and a day time worldspawn, it doesn't make sense. CoD4 creators aren't to blame here, you are.

Stop blaming the engine, the engine at the time was fine, CoD4 is optimized perfectly fine, you probably didn't do any portalling and thats why people got massive fps drops or they're running 15+ old machines or they're using a really cheap laptops. This game was made in in 2007, 2 fucking thousand and 7. That's almost 10 years old, if people can't run deathrun maps then they have shit pc's because even decent pc's to this day can still run badly optimized maps fine.

Why blame cod4 developers for making their environment?

thats what im talking about. its a 2007 game and it still gives so much less fps than newer games that have much higher graphics quality. The Fx on this game are terribly optimised and suck tons of fps. The models are bad looking and still suck much fps. Like seriously if i put 3-4 more trees people gonna have 100fps and complain.

I dont think im so good that i can make better worldspawn settings than the cod4 developers nor anyone is that good except for the creators themselfs.

From my experience these traps are time consuming for no reason. no ones gonna apreciatte that extra work, its just gonna pass by peoples minds. And the traps are actually not bad and i dont know what u guys are talking about the traps so much since there is no video showing them off. No traps are activated on the screenshots.

I feel like if i try and play the map you just posted ill get 30fps on full settings with my intel hd 530, but if im wrong this map is incredibly well made.

Yes the shadows dont seem legit since there is no sun, your right here. and the orange lighting is pretty bad, needs plenty of work to look more natural ( more yellow i think would be good ).

I just try not to repeat the mistakes that help my previous map and made it take 9 months. This one is gonna be done in 2 weeks.

The textures of the traps are out of place for a reason. I want to let people know that there is a trap there. but yes i feel its bad too, so if u guys really think the texture should suit the rest of the map let me know.

I didn't do any portaling on this map nor the other. i just split the parts with skybox which seems to have a very possitive effect on the fps. if you think that portaling would make things even better let me know and if u can provide a link that explains what it is and how to do it cuz i have no idea..

and im not lazy, i actually cant come up with any good idea thats what Kris does the most. Ideas is mostly his part, im not so creative.

*and i read somewhere that the electricity lines are not legit. well then how would the street lights be on without electricity. But its my fault. no one would even think about electricity or even see the lines at all so that was just a waste of time too.

Thanks for the reply.

Like some others said, some areas look decent others not so decent (the random floating flatforms and especially the metal ones really breaks the appearance of your map imo). Btw if you want to keep the orange tinted lighting in your map I suggest to use sky_pripyat or a custom one which supports this type of ligthing color and your should really add a sunflare when you at it The walls look kinda like the ones in overgrownv2 which I think looks nice. Anyhow this map does look like its pretty far in development but it also needs a lot of improvements to be considered done. Im hoping to see an awesome result when you complete it!

-Speedex

(Edit:)

Small tip: dont set deadlines for yourself if you dont need to. It will only cause your map to be less then its full potential could be!

Edited by Speedex

Try telling me that :dave:

A bit, but maybe you should add supports to each platform so its looks a bit more realistic. And maybe you could make the sides of the platforms an other texture than the one you're using on top of the platform.

Ps: This is more like a personal preference but maybe you should change the sides of the platform with the big arrow to something more like a wall typed texture, as cobblestone doesnt look that great as wall material imo.

-Speedex

Use a different skybox, that one doesn't suit it.

Use a different skybox, that one doesn't suit it.

This. Darker skybox would be better for the nighttime look ^^