jwofles

[CLOSED] Official Raid Cod4 Mapping Competition

Hello again.   21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like EVEN MORE time (you already have a month)?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

126 posts in this topic

Xgub3LX.png

Hola and welcome to the Official Raid CoD4 Mapping Challenge hosted by JWofles & Rednose on Raid!

The aim of this challenge is to show off the best mappers from this website and make sure they get the recognition they deserve. In this competition, you have to make mini Christmas maps and the three who come up with the best ideas will win! The Judges of this challenge are Tinman, Rednose, and Anti! You are free to join any time in the competition but the sooner you start, the more time you will have to perfect your map.

The prizes are...

1st Place: $50 Dollar Steam Card AND 3 months of VIP on Raid (thanks to iMtroll & Lossy)

2nd Place: $25 Dollar Steam Card AND 2 Months of VIP on Raid (thanks to Anti & Lossy)

3rd Place: 1 Month of VIP on Raid (thanks to Lossy)

qLx6ZPd.png

The rules are as follows:

• YOU MUST make a post/reply if you enter so we know who is entering.
  • YOU MUST send in your entry to JWofles via PM before midnight (GMT) on the 11th of January!
  • YOU MUST make your map compatible with Team Deathmatch, Free For All, Sabotage, Headquarters, Search n' Destroy and Domination.
  • YOU MUST include a minimap and a loadscreen.
  • YOU MUST make the map at least as big as shipment but no bigger than scrapyard.
  • NO using maps made before the 10th of December, you must start from scratch!
  • NO custom xmodels, you are limited to stock models unless you create the model yourself (you can also use the Christmas models).
  • YOU DON'T HAVE to make it Christmas themed (but it is recommended)!
  • YOU CAN use custom textures.
  • YOU CAN use FX.
  • YOU CAN use these custom Christmas models if you're making it Christmas themed.
  • JUDGES must choose their three favourite maps during 12th-15th of Janruary

s28sGAw.png

To enter, simply create a map following the guidelines posted above and send it in by the 11th. Remember when sending your map in, we want it fully compiled (so no .maps!), remember to compile lighting on extra! Your entry will be judged on detail/aesthetics, playability/flow, uniqueness and optimisation so keep these factors in mind. Then after this, the judges will give an overall score which will help them determine the best map. You can interoperate scripting for features like lifts/elevators if you feel like it will make your map better but we want people to focus on the mapping.

Thanks for reading this, remember, even if you're not the best mapping you should still give this a try! Sometimes it's not always about the detail but a big factor is your creativity and how you show it in your maps. Hopefully this will be a successful competition people will enjoy and we can keep doing. Also, I hope it will spread awareness of underrated mappers and let them take part in something that will unite all mappers of all abilities.

Thanks to Rednose for helping me get ideas and write the rules and such.

-JWofles c=

Planning:

Hello all :dave:

Myself and Zack have been wondering who is the best mapper between us then, we went on to think, who is the best mapper we don't know about?
So, we wanted to have a little competition where we and maybe you guys can create a themed room or area in a space of time and we try and make it as detailed as possible.

Then, we'd have someone who isn't biased to review and judge the maps. To make it fair, it'll be like an hour or two of mapping and then, people can stream so everyone could watch it in a multi-stream and see what/how everybody is doing.

Not only would this help us see who the best underrated mappers are, it's also a chance for people who need help to learn advanced map editing. This is a mapping competition so it's heavily focused on mapping not scripting. It doesn't have to be serious and there could/could not be a prize. It's just a little idea Zack and I had in an xfire chat x)

There's only a couple of things we need to start:

• Theme(s) for mapping

• More mappers(?)

• Unbiased judger(s)

• Input for more challenge and time limits etc.

Prize: $25 steam code

Thanks,

~JWofles.

I have made tutorials here on the forums of how to install the modtools, if you want to give it a shot, and just map for the hell of it?

Modtools Installation: http://raid-gaming.net/forums/topic/22-how-to-start-mapping-modtools-setup/

Also, I will give the winner of this contest, 2 months of ViP, paid for by me, on the deathrun server :)

Sounds pretty fun. Won't take part because I'm a shit mapper and due to personal life atm :P

I would take part with my 1337 skillz, but have some things to do during the next 2 or so weeks, getting stuff with school/college sorted ;-;

Can I suggest a rule...

No Xenon allowed :no:

We already declared this, he can take part but he can't win  B)

Good idea, I could possibly be the judge seems how I wouldn't give favortism, because I don't know most of you guys :dave:

I would take part in the competition if you need more peoplez.

You're 15?...

Because I'm not allowed back in school, Apparently, I can get into college at 15 with a 'fee'  

People from home learning or some shit came round and was speaking to me about it, I didn't listen for half of it :dumb: but yeah, 

Because I'm not allowed back in school, Apparently, I can get into college at 15 with a 'fee'  

People from home learning or some shit came round and was speaking to me about it, I didn't listen for half of it :dumb: but yeah, 

''not allowed back in school''

*goes to college*

wtf did you do to get kicked out :blink:

Zack will most likely mess up the scaling of the room even though he will just be trying to decorate and make it detailed :P

Slaya (if he joins) will most likely add a single horrid texture, yet have the color change once for variety :troll:

Anyways, good luck to the both of you

Personally betting on Zack to win

Meant lose :troll:

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this

Themes: Space (Not a lot of those), circus (Do it now :angryarnold:), Underwater, animal (Zoo, forest, etc...), military (Courses, bases, areas), and so forth

Judger: Think Synd would be a good choice

Challenge: One handed, swapping maps after a limit of time and the other mapper has to create the better one, etc...

Time limits: Depending on time zones, 2-4 hour limit per day seems reasonable, yet could be cheated

Regarding the prize, could a 25 dollar steam card that I never redeemed (What is there to buy for my Mac) so I suppose that could be it

College won't start till september, what the hell you need to prepare for, it's pretty much school but with a big age group :dumb:

Awesome ideas anti!

We could do a day limit if we made something more than just a room?

Tomorrow I'll release an example of a theme/what could be made, I just need to finish it.

Slaya (if he joins) will most likely add a single horrid texture, yet have the color change once for variety :troll:

Sounds like a plan!

Inb4 uses zombie_rise.map. :dave:

I will maybe give it ago, i generally get bored of mapping xD As it is only a themed room, it works well for me with detail.

I wanna be the judge

well since you have no clue what to look for, i'll rather have you not as judge but experience people that has been mapping for 1 year  and made quality looking maps. :)

well since you have no clue what to look for, i'll rather have you not as judge but experience people that has been mapping for 1 year  and made quality looking maps. :)

I vote for Turtle then to be judge :troll:

Xenon could be the judge :P