Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pixel

Assist me in a new PC!

89 posts in this topic

I've asked Lossy to unlock this as I have a question to address.

I am getting a Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor.

I need opinions on which cooling to get?

Lowish price = what siikdude said, hyper 212 evo 

More highish price = h60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030&cm_re=h60-_-35-181-030-_-Product

Though honestly hyper 212 will do the job, I just prefer h60 for less noise and more neater :) That's just me though.

Yea and also installing the hyper 212 evo could be a bitch sometimes

why get a cooling system? are you planning to OC it?

I own the Hyper 212 Evo, if you want I can give you some benchmarks on my CPU when it's idle, gaming, rendering, and the same temps when it's OC'ed. I don't OC mine, and it usually stays at around 45 degrees when in use. However, I haven't OC'ed in a while so I'd have to OC it to tell ya. The Evo 212 is really a pain to install, but just follow a video and it's really easy. 

The H60 is water cooling, so it'll be better at cooling but you have to install it right otherwise you risk compromising your whole system with a water leak. :s I've never tried water cooling, so I really don't know much about it. The H60 is double the price of the Evo though.

I own the Hyper 212 Evo, if you want I can give you some benchmarks on my CPU when it's idle, gaming, rendering, and the same temps when it's OC'ed. I don't OC mine, and it usually stays at around 45 degrees when in use. However, I haven't OC'ed in a while so I'd have to OC it to tell ya. The Evo 212 is really a pain to install, but just follow a video and it's really easy. 

The H60 is water cooling, so it'll be better at cooling but you have to install it right otherwise you risk compromising your whole system with a water leak. :s I've never tried water cooling, so I really don't know much about it. The H60 is double the price of the Evo though.

The h60 is pre-filled with liquid so never haver to refill or anything i suppose that has less risk of compromising your system, though I think you should just go with:

- Hyper 212 evo

- Stock cooler (if you're not bothered and don't plan to overclock)

Mine is around £17 but is very silent (I did actually ask for a hyper 212 but he said this one does a similar job) but it's called artic cooler freezer 7 pro rev.2 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTIC-Cooling-Freezer-Rev-2-Cooler/dp/B002G392ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412509779&sr=8-1&keywords=freezer+7

Seems like it has good reviews so i can't complain xD That's the only other recommendation i can recommend as it's what i'm using atm :)

Guys, you're scaring me about the liquid cooling :'( If I used my stock cooler, and rendered like a MAD file / edit from after effects which is also using 3rd party insane plugins, will i need a better cooler?

What if I max everything out on a mad game?

Guys, you're scaring me about the liquid cooling :'( If I used my stock cooler, and rendered like a MAD file / edit from after effects which is also using 3rd party insane plugins, will i need a better cooler?

What if I max everything out on a mad game?

Stock coolers are designed to work at a reasonable rate for that CPU, after market cooling generally tend to have better performance. I don't think you should go all out on some major cooling unless you're over-clocking;. The stock cooler will be fine for rendering and games but tend to be noisier and more higher temps. The hyper 212 is 1 of the most common coolers that everyone uses due to it's performance and i personally think it will be your best option.

There really isn't a huge need for an after-market CPU cooler. it'll get hotter, but it won't break the system, it'll just operate at hotter temperatures. Most CPU's are meant to work completely fine until ~100*C and even then your CPU cooler would have to be like broken for it to even get that hot. 

this thread is full of fear, uncertainty and doubt :angryarnold: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

It's scary to be in here, everyone has a difference of opinion about PC's :(