Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pixel

Assist me in a new PC!

89 posts in this topic

I am looking to build a new gaming PC. My budget is around £600 - £700 (Approx $1000 - $1100)

So if you guys can help me, I'd appreciate it! I don't know much about hardware!

I will edit this comment tomorow with computer specs + price of course.

Why not just post tomorrow?

Also from previous topics I've learnt to ignore your pc advice :dumb:

Get an i5, 1 or 2TB HDD, 8GB of ram and a 760/770 GTX, 600 PSU and you're done :dave:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card

Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case

got this from a youtube video, price is around 1000$ or 650£.

PcPartPicker:

Video:

My advice is that whatever PC you build, definitely save some bucks for a descent SSD on which you install your OS (and just the demanding software/games) to have a good performance boost on them. Your PC will perform better overall and things will open much quicker!

P.S. Beatthat's build is very a nice one, and do use PC Part Picker because it will make the whole decision process a lot easier :)

My advice is that whatever PC you build, definitely save some bucks for a descent SSD on which you install your OS (and just the demanding software/games) to have a good performance boost on them. Your PC will perform better overall and things will open much quicker!

P.S. Cat's build is very a nice one, and do use PC Part Picker because it will make the whole decision process a lot easier :)

I have been messing around with that part picker, and someone came up with this build: 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PParkerr/saved/mN9wrH

This build seems good. 

What's different about Cat's build which will give me an advantage? The speed and stuff?

I'd post my own suggestions, but what Beat suggested is perfect actually. However, I do recommend changing the motherboard and upgrading the CPU to a okay version for overclocking. And for an extra 24 GBP you can grab an aftermarket cooler, which I'd recommend. Here's my suggestion after making a few changes to beatthat's suggestion.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/B4YG23

Also, another tip, 1000 USD is more like 850 GBP, so it's sorta misleading how much you're willing to spend...

Another note, I never posted a build until now. D: Maybe you saw the purple and a computer post and thought it might be me?

Whoops sorry I mistook Beatthat as Cat because they both have purple coloured username without any avatar :P

I have been messing around with that part picker, and someone came up with this build: 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PParkerr/saved/mN9wrH

This build seems good. 

What's different about Cat's build which will give me an advantage? The speed and stuff?

It's the GTX 980!

I'd post my own suggestions, but what Beat suggested is perfect actually. However, I do recommend changing the motherboard and upgrading the CPU to a okay version for overclocking. And for an extra 24 GBP you can grab an aftermarket cooler, which I'd recommend. Here's my suggestion after making a few changes to beatthat's suggestion.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/B4YG23

Also, another tip, 1000 USD is more like 850 GBP, so it's sorta misleading how much you're willing to spend...

Another note, I never posted a build until now. D: Maybe you saw the purple and a computer post and thought it might be me?

Yeah I didn't read the name, just saw purple hahaha, my bad.

And I must have miscalculated the dollars; my bad.

As beatthat's build is $1000 (sorry for my miscalculations), I am going to have to go with my build with a few changes perhaps (like you suggested)

This will be my first time building a PC from scratch, so it should be interesting.

Well how much are you willing to spend?

Tight budget of £600 - £700. Was going to get and XB1  but decided to make a deal with my mum to put thr £350 to the PC and I put the rest to, so I am selling my PC for £250 and possibly chipping in £100 of my savings. I could happily spend over £1,000 but I need some money for car insurance and other stuff 

CORSAIR CX 750W  BRONZE PSU :ANGRYARNOLD: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!! 

corsair is shit, it manufactures its psu in china  :dave:

550W gold plus is enuff for yar build, especially if ya get a 900-series gpu. I haf XFX XTR 550W, its also very silent :sir:

My proposition is:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3,20 GHz BOX - Strong 4 cores, more than enough for games
  • MOBO: MSI H97M-G43 - Supports all the newer Haswell and upcomming Broadwell processors, M.2 SSDs with up to 10GB/s transfers, two PCI-E  x16 slots, heatsink on CPU power phases
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 2X 4GB 1600MHz XMP CL9 Genesis -
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB GAMING - Stronger than GTX780/780Ti, and can handle most games at 1440p with decent FPS.
  • PSU: Corsair VS 550W ATX - Budget, but a good quality PSU
  • CASE: SilentiumPC Brutus S20 Pure Black USB 3.0 (Actually this one is up to you)
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB WD10EZRX (64MB, SATA/600)

Cost: £631 / $1034

You don't really need any CPU OC abilities, so no sense paying premium for them, everything will work on max even when streaming your game on Twitch, this build is enough for another 3-4 (or more) years. You have a good mobo so upgrading CPU or adding more ram will not be a problem, you can also get a bit faster ram (2133?) as somebody mentioned here but in fact you will most likely see no difference in games.

My proposition is:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3,20 GHz BOX - Strong 4 cores, more than enough for games
  • MOBO: MSI H97M-G43 - Supports all the newer Haswell and upcomming Broadwell processors, M.2 SSDs with up to 10GB/s transfers, two PCI-E  x16 slots, heatsink on CPU power phases
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 2X 4GB 1600MHz XMP CL9 Genesis -
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB GAMING - Stronger than GTX780/780Ti, and can handle most games at 1440p with decent FPS.
  • PSU: Corsair VS 550W ATX - Budget, but a good quality PSU
  • CASE: SilentiumPC Brutus S20 Pure Black USB 3.0 (Actually this one is up to you)
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB WD10EZRX (64MB, SATA/600)

Cost: £631 / $1034

You don't really need any OC abilities, so no sense paying premium for them, everything will work on max even when streaming your game on Twitch, this build is enough for another 3-4 (or more) years.

that psu is china-shit http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/corsair-vs450-review/3/

and that case is a psu toaster since the psu is mounted to the top of the case :kingdave:

Some of the secondary side capacitors are made by Aishi, but most are from CapXon – a brand renowned for poor quality capacitors.

that psu is china-shit http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/corsair-vs450-review/3/

and that case is a psu toaster since the psu is mounted to the top of the case :kingdave:

And carbonated drinks are bad for our health, pretty much 90% of everything is bad :kingdave:, even the best components fail (see Haswell-E mobos burning)... stupid talking.. give Pixel more money so he can get better parts :udontsay:

CASE: SilentiumPC Brutus S20 Pure Black USB 3.0 (Actually this one is up to you)

Bear pls, food on your desk is blocking your view, and no, this case is not a toaster, one 140mm fan in front will do :dave:

Guys guys, I know you want me to get the best PC setup possible, but honestly, it's not worth fighting over!

Simple solution would be to donate to my bank account, and we all win! I choose the setup you gave me, and I have the setup I want :awesome:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3, 3.40GHz, Quad-core, Hyper-Threading, faster than i5-4460

MOBO: MSI H97 GAMING 3, integrated ALC1150 sound card supports binaural audio simulation for stereo headphones (virtual surround)

RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.5V (not 1.65V like in BraXi's suggestion :facepalm:)

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming, 4GB

PSU: XFX TS 550W, Non-Modular, 80+ Gold (not Chinese 80+ Bronze shit-PSU like in BraXi's suggestion :facepalm:)

CASE: Cooltek Antiphon Black Midi, very quiet and good airflow

HDD: WD Blue 1TB, 7200RPM (not 5400RPM slow HDD like in BraXi's suggestion :facepalm:)

Total cost: £697 (892€)

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/20fd9a2209423b7d1e402f9ddd1ccea1f447816429659bb8f26

They ship to UK too AFAIK.

Optional parts:

Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW Rev. A - quieter than Intel stock cooler.

Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD-RW SATA - ODD you asked for :sir:

TP-Link TL-WN881ND WL300MBit PCIe WLAN-card - good and cheap WLAN-card.

Go on and downvote this BraXi, I know you want to  :facepalm:

I've done some editing, this one is 705 GBP

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bhFNsY

CPU: Intel 4690K - 4 Physical cores @ 3.5GHz+ Intel HD Graphics 4600 LGA 1150 Socket

MoBo: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 MicroATX Motherboard LGA 1150 Socket(4 RAM slots/RAID Support/3-way SLI/6 SATA 3.0 ports)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8GB @ 2400 MHz(2x4GB) Also, I may recommend lowering this speed, it's cheaper and the performance boost is sooooo minimal due to RAM latency

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD @ 7200 RPM w/ 64MB Cache

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked(4GB GDDR5/1.17Ghz/HDMI/DVI-D/DVI-I/DisplayPort/1664 CUDA cores)

Case: GX700 ATX Mid Tower Case (2x140mm top fans(or 240mm water cooling)/1x120mm rear fan/2x120mm front fans/1x120mm side fan for cooling GPU's)

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze ATX (1 fan)

705 GBP as well, if you want to cut down more on price I recommend changing the RAM to a lower frequency, there really is no need for RAM that high because the performance boost is really minimal.

whats up with the bronze PSUs? why be cheap when its about the most important part of your PC? ;___;

I have an unrated PSU and it hasn't caused any issues. the 80+ level is how EFFICIENT the PSU is, like making it environmentally more stable I guess. The higher the 80+ level, the better it is for the environment. It has no reason at all for the actual rating of how long it's going to last.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

80 Plus (trademarked 80 PLUS) is a voluntary certification program intended to promote efficient energy use in computer power supply units (PSUs). Launched in 2004 by Ecos Consulting, it certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load, and a power factor of 0.9 or greater at 100% load. That is, such PSUs will waste 20% or less electric energy as heat at the specified load levels, thus reducing electricity use and bills compared to less efficient PSUs. Sometimes, rebates are given for manufacturers who use 80 Plus-certified PSUs.