89 posts in this topic

Lower efficiency:

• Higher electricity bills
  • Shorter PSU lifespan due to more heat

Higher efficiency:

• Lower electricity bills
  • Longer PSU lifespan
  • Less heat, less noise

Also, why would you get a 80+ Bronze PSU with 3-YEAR WARRANTY, when you could get a 80+ Gold with 5-YEAR WARRANTY for just 9€ more???

IS RISKING YOUR WHOLE BUILD WORTH THE 9 EUROS??!! IS IT??!! :angryarnold:  :angryarnold:  :angryarnold:  :angryarnold:  :angryarnold:

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-Thermaltake-Smart-Series-Modular-80--Bronze_774594.html 62€

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-XFX-TS-Series-Non-Modular-80--Gold_949421.html 71€

After 5 years I could save up a lot more then 62 euro, but I totally understand your point. Even though I have a 80+ Bronze, lollol

I'm not paying for my electricity bills, thankfully. Shorter lifespan? I don't think so, i think it depends completely on the build of the PSU itself. My PSU doesn't make much noise by itself, its mostly my case fans which make all the noise. 

And as for the 80+gold with 5 year warranty ro 9euros more? I'd do it, I just didn't see that when i put together those parts. YOu gotta remember, I did that in 10-15 minutes while in-class :dave:

YOu gotta remember, I did that in 10-15 minutes while in-class :dave:

kdén, downvote refunded :troll:

(why kdén becomes "okay then"?! :angryarnold:)

Be aware that the part list I linked was not something I made, it was something from a friend I trusted. I just wanted more opinions. I will be keeping the GeForce 770 because by reading Headdy's topic, there  really is no need for someone like me to get a 980.

As for the PSU, I'm sure the one listed is fine Bear :)

Been looking at the processor, that seems fine, good reviews, and people I know have / are getting that one too (I didn't copy, it was a coincidence)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PParkerr/saved/mN9wrH

Quote this with thoughts, opinions and better ideas which will not make the price sky high; after all, I do want my car yanno!  :cry: but pc too

Thanks all!  :wub:

You cannot OC your 4690k cpu on a B85 mobo...

And it's not recommended to buy so slow ram, go with 2x4GB but DDR-1600 and CL9 It will probably cost same if not less.

I'd get the i5-4590 with a B85 MOBO. I have the 4570 with a B85. BTW, the GTX770 isn't a bad choice, it's my baby <3

Get 1600mhz ram

Get a PSU with like 600-620w, cheaper and you don't need 750w, it'll also save some dosh on electricity bill ;)

Now I've done my best and prepared the best setup possible, no need to upgrade for years :dave:

QpNCBoS.jpg

Cost: 741€

I've chosen MSI 970 because it's so far the best (and fastest) version of GTX970 it is faster than competitors and has great cooling system and it's quiet.

Mobo lets you unleash full power out of your parts and has a 6 phase CPU power (voltage is more stable) with two heatsinks to spread heat, has a good quality 7:1 audio onboard.

PSU is very strong and will do it's job, it has 80+ gold rating and it's modular (means you can make more space in your case by attaching only power cables you need).

Case is ventilated fine, you can mount a fan in front, left panel and back, PSU is at the bottom and has anti-dust filters, there are enough mounting points for 2.5" and 3.5" HDD/SSDs. Not sure if mobo will fit there because it's listing only ITX size mobos and it's weird, I guess it's a mistake.

FORGET THE CASE, IT'S TOO SMALL

This pc has no weak sides, but before you OC - think first about getting a better CPU cooler (although my 4790k is on stock and @ 4+ Ghz :lol:).

Sounds good BraXi :) 

For the PSU, what if I wanted to install something else in the machine at a later date, but need a higher power supply? 

Sounds good BraXi :)

For the PSU, what if I wanted to install something else in the machine at a later date, but need a higher power supply? 

Depends what you want to add later? this psu is enough even for i7-4790k+970 but definitely too little for SLI/CrossFire although I wouldn't bother with dual-gpu setups...

Depends what you want to add later? this psu is enough even for i7-4790k+970

c9ac6faca806c3a40c4b771fab8089a7.png

Ignore the RAM part. I explained that you put the quantity to two.

Additional hard drivers are not a problem for a PSU as they drain very little power, in future parts will use even less power as manufacturing proces goes down (haswell is 22nm and broadwell will be just 14nm).

550W 80+ Gold is more or equal to my 600W 80+ Bronze :dave:

Open question: Would you prefer an i5 4rth Gen or an i7 4rth Gen for a gaming PC?

I wouldn't bother with i7 if it's just a "Gaming" pc, unless you also want to do a heavy video editing, working with huge images and compiling huge projects.

Additional hard drivers are not a problem for a PSU as they drain very little power, in future parts will use even less power as manufacturing proces goes down (haswell is 22nm and broadwell will be just 14nm).

550W 80+ Gold is more or equal to my 600W 80+ Bronze :dave:

I wouldn't bother with i7 if it's just a "Gaming" pc, unless you also want to do a heavy video editing, working with huge images and compiling huge projects.

Well, I was planning to do video editing in the future as I do video editing like JWofles and he keeps begging me to edit again, so it's something to think about.

I'll be playing: CoD4, Counter Strike: Source & DayZ Standalone when I get it

NEW INTEL: My mother declined giving me money, therefore I am buying it for my own birthday! Hurray! Time to sell some shit

Pixel is a professional trickshot editor :sir:

But not you don't need it, even CoD editing ain't that heavy, you don't need your stuff done ASAP 5 mins render time. I suspect movie editors or whatever who use 20gb+ video files adding CGI etc is heavy editing?

Anyway, power is no problem, graphics card is gold atm and newer generations are only going to consume less and less power (if nvidea play their cards right..)

Also, about hard drives, don't worry, in the future with prices coming down and new tech being made, you'll want to buy floppy disks SSDs which I believe take in less power than those loud slow horrible 'hard drives' (ew).

Pixel is a professional trickshot editor :sir:

Cannot agree with you there :)

Anyway, power is no problem, graphics card is gold atm and newer generations are only going to consume less and less power (if nvidea play their cards right..)

Also, about hard drives, don't worry, in the future with prices coming down and new tech being made, you'll want to buy floppy disks SSDs which I believe take in less power than those loud slow horrible 'hard drives' (ew).

Should I just get an SSD for my memory?

But not you don't need it, even CoD editing ain't that heavy, you don't need your stuff done ASAP 5 mins render time. I suspect movie editors or whatever who use 20gb+ video files adding CGI etc is heavy editing?

You have a point, but if I get to Cozzi's standard, i'd be needing that i7 ;) He spent one month on an edit, the file size was ridiculous and the render time was 24hours+ I believe.

I'm no expert but, if you're being careful with your money, I'd personally choose a hard drive for now so you can use that for however long and then when you decide you need it or you have spare money, upgrade to an SSD later.

I mean, I don't even have an SSD myself, saving up for that 970 :dave: #poor

I'm no expert but, if you're being careful with your money, I'd personally choose a hard drive for now so you can use that for however long and then when you decide you need it or you have spare money, upgrade to an SSD later.

I mean, I don't even have an SSD myself, saving up for that 970 :dave: #poor

Well yeah, I have to be careful now that my mum isn't chipping in as much as I though, it just means I'll have to sell stuff, but I see what you mean and agree with you.

Should I just get an SSD for my memory?

I'd stick with the HDD unless you can spend the extra money to get both. Samsung's 840 EVO 120GB SSD is about $85.

SSD = Faster but less space.

You generally want a regular HDD coupled with an SSD for the best of both worlds.

Pixel, read this post about BraXi's suggestion very carefully.

Price:

Now I've done my best and prepared the best setup possible, no need to upgrade for years  :dave:

QpNCBoS.jpg

Cost: 741€

First of all, the price of these parts is not 741€:

iZ7ZTy0.jpgWMFPskr.jpg

GPU:

I've chosen MSI 970 because it's so far the best (and fastest) version of GTX970 it is faster than competitors and has great cooling system and it's quiet.

Where are the test results, reviews or whatever that proves this is true?

MSI clock speeds:

Vnf7XlX.jpg

Gigabyte clock speeds:

K3iKWqM.jpg

Even the "OC" speeds are lower than Gigabyte stock speeds. Also, Gigabyte GTX 970 has 3 display port connections (MSI 1) and ~600W heat dissipation (higher than MSI) which means more overclocking potential. Both of the cards are about the same price.

MOBO:

Mobo lets you unleash full power out of your parts and has a 6 phase CPU power (voltage is more stable) with two heatsinks to spread heat, has a good quality 7:1 audio onboard.

The motherboard integrated audio card is mediocre. Not that the difference is huge, but the Realtek ALC892 is somewhat worse compared to Realtek ALC1150, which is one of the best of Realtek's integrated audio cards. Some say that the ALC892 has "echoing" surround sound, but it may be just about personal preference.

PSU:

PSU is very strong and will do it's job, it has 80+ gold rating and it's modular (means you can make more space in your case by attaching only power cables you need).

Corsair, 'nuff said :dumb: If you still think I'm wrong about the capacitor quality, efficiency rating and other stuff, let's make the decision making simple for you: 3-year warranty or 5-year warranty for the same price? The decision is up to you, Pixel.

Modularity is not necessary when you are not building your PC to an m-ITX case :dave:

Other:

This pc has no weak sides

Is that so?

RAM: 1.65V RAM @ 1600MHz + Haswell refresh CPU :dumb: What's the problem you ask?

Using 1.65V RAM does 2 things:

1. it voids your warranty. Intel recommends using 1.5V RAM with Haswell processors.

2. the RAM will run at lower speed due to undervolt to 1.5V. You would need at least 2133MHz 1.65V RAM to run at the same speeds as 1600MHz 1.5V RAM. Higher RAM voltage means lower RAM quality.

CPU: Xeon (basically i7 with no overclocking & integrated GPU) with Hyper-Threading or i5 with overclocking capability? Up to you to decide, depends what you going to do with the PC. Video editing benefits from Hyper-Threading. No noticeable difference in gaming.

ODD: What was wrong with the DVD drive I suggested? Why did BraXi make this change? Confusing, isn't it Pixel?

Once again, Pixel, it's up to you whether you listen to my advice or not. After all it's your PC and your money. :sir:

Pixel, read this post about BraXi's suggestion very carefully.

Once again, Pixel, it's up to you whether you listen to my advice or not. After all it's your PC and your money. :sir:

I will read all of that when I am not busy at College :) This morning I went on PC part maker and saw that the price was not what BraXi said, I'll concertrate more on this later, I am here until 5:15 or 6:45 idk yet

@Bear

• Price - i've accidentaly mistaken € with £
  • GPU - Oh and please read some about MSI's additional mobo features when a "Gaming" GPU from that one company is installed, you're also ignoring it's cooling system. Overall all 970s are comparable but you can get the most only out of MSI.
  • Mobo (Audio) - If you want a perfect audio, just give Pixel additional money for a dedicated sound card, or try to convice him that getting a worse mobo just because it has a little better integrated( :lol:) audio is good.
  • PSU - I don't know why are you hating Corsair so much, their PSUs are very good and pretty much every benchmark site uses Corsairs for testing parts and OC. XFX costs slightly more, and sorry but You're the only person I know that has XFX and a lot more of my friends have Corsairs that serve them well for years.
  • DVD - It does not matter what DVD-ROM he gets ;_; i've added a random rom to see a final price of whole rig

Now about RAM:

• It does NOT void a warranty, you say Intel recommends, I repeat - recommends, and not REQUIRES ram to have v of 1.5 or less.
  • I have haswell refresh mobo, cpu and exactly the same RAM sticks and it doesn't work slower as you're trying to prove here. My CL9 1600 runs at full speed and no voltage tables were changed. Prove your points before making false asumptions.
  • Kingston is a STRONG brand and their products are great, I myself use their ram for 11 years and not a single stick ever broke, I don't think they would sell "worse quality" crap.
  • PS. Why would you OC your RAM?